DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   LETUS 35 / FX1 first test frame grabs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/54616-letus-35-fx1-first-test-frame-grabs.html)

Maheel Perera November 18th, 2005 10:18 AM

LETUS 35 / FX1 first test frame grabs

I wanted to test the LETUS35 /FX1 combination on a film transfer. While waiting for a 72mm to 58mm step down ring from Adorama, I tested the unit with my old VX1000. I was very impressed with the results I got. Also I noticed some minor problems with the unit.

1. The interior being reflective encourages internal reflections.
2. Dust deposited on the PCX lens showed as a static grain.

I cleaned the entire unit carefully and painted the interior black.

I received the step down ring today and attached the LETUS 35 to the FX1. Although the unit attached to the FX1 without much trouble, the acromat was not sufficient to get the complete GG to fill the frame. However the image was very sharp and I recorded some footage with it. After that I recorded a bit without the adaptor. The footage shot with the LETUS 35 looked as sharp as the footage shot with out it. I am quite pleased and have little doubt that the LETUS 35 footage will hold well for a film transfer.

But first I need to get a new acromat to get the complete GG in the frame. When it is done I will report the result of the transfer. Below are two sample frames which were cropped to match in size.

http://www.dcinemanetworks.com/FX1_35mm.jpg
FX1 with the Adaptor / Nikon 50 mm f/1.8 / reflector used/ CCd
http://www.dcinemanetworks.com/Raw%20FX1.jpg
FX1 without the Adaptor / No reflector / CCd to match the above

Quyen, Thanks.

Any information that you could give about a suitable acromat.?

Neo Castillo November 18th, 2005 12:04 PM

First off the screen grabs look great. I can't wait to see some footage becasue this is the combo I was thinking of going with (fx1 and letus35).

If the GG of the letus wasn't able to fill the full frame, was there anying noticeable on the footage? I'm a little new to this and not sure waht you mena by acromat, and are you goign to replace it or is Quyen going to?

Bill Porter November 18th, 2005 12:09 PM

I agree, the screengrabs look terrific. That's another benefit of dvinfo; we get to see nice looking people from across the world. We also get to see Oscar.

Oscar Spierenburg November 18th, 2005 01:27 PM

Hey Bill....what you mean...you...you...

Maheel, it does look good. Are you going to transfer to 16mm or 35mm?

Dan Diaconu November 18th, 2005 02:44 PM

Don't you worry Oscar, I 'll post some recent pics of lil'ol'me. That'll learn'im! (and you'll be seen as an....angel... lol) See Bill? it could aaaaalways be worse!

Bill Porter November 18th, 2005 04:26 PM

Who said I didn't mean "including Oscar"? ;-)

In fact it could be even worse than pics of Dan. But lucky for you I stay behind the camera.

Besides, Dan, we have seen you. You're hairy, short, have whiskers, and go by the name "Felix."

Dan Diaconu November 18th, 2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Porter
and go by the name "Felix."

For friends ONLY! For everybody else I am Dan.

Maheel Perera November 18th, 2005 07:36 PM

Thanks all for the comments.

Neo,
It is not the GG of the LETUS, but the acromat lens which is used to close focus the ground glass which is not sufficiant for the FX1. The acromat icovers the full GG on the VX 1000.

Oscar,
I am going to transfer the footage to 35 mm. But first of all I need to replace the acromat to get the full GG area.

Bill Porter November 18th, 2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maheel Perera
Thanks all for the comments.

Don't be so quick to thank us. Wait til you see what we post about you once we see screencaps of you.

Maheel Perera November 19th, 2005 09:46 AM

As soon as my request appeared on the thread re: the acromat, Quyen responded by sending me details of a suitable acromat by email. What a service?

Bill,
I will make sure that I will always be behind the camera.

Robert Kirkpatrick November 19th, 2005 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maheel Perera
As soon as my request appeared on the thread re: the acromat, Quyen responded by sending me details of a suitable acromat by email.

Can you give more details, like the price? I'm thinking of getting the Letus35a for my FX1, but if the achromat price is out of my range, I won't.

Maheel Perera November 20th, 2005 04:56 AM

Robert,

You will be able to get all the relative details from Quyen when you buy the adaptor. Since Quyen opted to send me the details by an email it is better not discuss it in the forum. Contact him before making the purchase. He may send you one with the required acromat.

No it is definetely not out of your range.