Infra red conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Infra red conversion

So I've taken my first camera a JVC DVL-510 I've removed the IR filter that sits between the ccd and the lens and in place I've put two small pieces of developed unexposed negatives (the black stuff) from a 35mm camera in place of it. As seen in many webcam hacks. The trouble I've run into is that my focal length has now changed. I came across something somewhere talking about the difference in frequency of the light waves between visible and IR.

I need help with figuring out which direction i need to move the ccd in order to restore focus.

Currently i need to zoom all the (10x) in order to obtain focus of anything. Do I then need to move the ccd away from the lens in order to be able to focus when zoomed out?

And to avoid the constant, "Why would you want to do this?" from the imaginationless just think about the cool effects you can get. My brown hair looks white, my blue eyes look black. My black shirt looks white. And the use of Infrared light as a light source vs. visible light, for night shooting.
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ok nm apparently the auto focus mechanism is failing... Good thing i only use at as a deck, although the IR camera does now work it will never leave the desk again as it will now be web cam/ dv deck.
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Way to go Fred!
To get focus back (all the way) zoom out, open the iris (or use "magic hour"), focus infinity and move the LENS till you get the image sharp. This is another way of adjusting the "focal flange". Since you removed the lens (I would guess) play with the lens ONLY. If you start messing with both (lens and CCD), well... you'll be busy for a while.... Post some footage, I'm sure is fun.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok here's some footy. Unfortunately I only had a crummy camera to do this with, as the camera is now totally hacked. This is a short clip of me, I have a red shirt on. The shirt I'm holding up is all black including the stiching. The cd that you see through the shirt cannot normally be seen through the shirt.

The shirt is an atheltic shirt those 100% polyester sweat wicking jobs. http://3ffilms.com/images/IR_shirt.jpg

Here's the footage http://3ffilms.com/video/IR.mov

You can slightly see the DVD with a normal viewing camera, but not enough to make out details. The problems I've run into with the project is just the camera I'm using. If I'm able to get my hands on a new camera I'll sacrifice my GL-1 to the IR gods, or I may pick up a cheap 3ccd'r to mutilate.

The autofocus is having a lot of issues now. In order to maintain focus I have to disconnect the ribbon on the circuit board ~8 times before it will focus on infinity. So I have to leave the housing off of the camera in order to use it, so it looks as though this will retire to my desktop as a webcam and dv deck only.... I wish it was a p.o.s.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods