180 degree flip with magnet on PanaGS400 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1
New Boot

180 degree flip with magnet on PanaGS400

Hi All,
I looked through different threads for image flip using magnet for GS400. Also I tried it myself, but unsuccessful. Has anyone had success with GS400 magnet flip?
Madhav Yerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well I tried doing a magnet flip with my gs150 and it didnt work so Im guessing it might not be possible with the panasonics.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi All,
Why I want to try magnet on GS400 is -it has a mirror mode for Self recording similar to highend dvx100, which is basically to see the image right when the LCD is towards lens. And people have success with magnet on PanaDvx100 cam.

When I tried with small fridge round magnet at the spot next to right of LCD just below the hinge, there is a blur in LCD and lcd is powered off. Which suggests me there is effect of magnet on LCD, whether positive or negative.

1) Does that mean I am using a low strength magnet and should try with high strength one?

2)Blur and power off on LCD means- a magnet will have a negative effect?

3)Can someone give me the link for magnet to buy online. I tried dollor store, michaels and target- either they don't have or when I found some, I tried at the store itself without removing cover-didn't work?
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhav Yerella
Hi All,
I looked through different threads for image flip using magnet for GS400. Also I tried it myself, but unsuccessful. Has anyone had success with GS400 magnet flip?
Hi Madhav,

Which adaptor are you using for gs400?

Just curious

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
New Boot

I am using Letus35A with nikon mount
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I am using Letus35A with nikon mount
Thanks

Do you have any footage I can see shot using gs400 with Letus35A?

I checke their website http://www.letus35.com/letus35.html

Here is some text I copy & paste from their site.
-------------------------------------
An achromat that yields better image and less color aberration is $50 extra, (Letus35A).

Metal mount which has swapable Canon FD and Nikon AI on both ends and will dust proof your unit for $100 extra.
-------------------------------------

Do you think if worth to pay more to get these extra?

What is your experience with Letus35?

Will it work with moving shot? i.e. dolly etc

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #7
New Boot

Here are the reasons why I chose Letus35.
Unfortunately I do not have any fooatge to show on web.
I tried to make adaptor myself using paint,silicon carbide and other stuff on GG-agus aldus and other designs. I was not successful. Then I always asked my self this question-Can someone develop an adaptor-which on oneside is threaded for camcorder and on the other end has a mount for SLR lens? Quyen answered my question 6 months later by designing LETUS35.
1)Micro35 and Guerilla35-cost about $1000 and also need rod support and stuff like that-also you have to buy mounts etc.
2)Letus35 looks like just one more small pipe infront of Cam-unlike Sg35 which is a box-SG35 looks promising because of it's price.
3)It's lightweight
4)I chose LETUS35A than LETUS35-because Quyen figured out how to use the right acromat in 35A version.
5)the spinnig GG does not introduce new noise-I did not find difference switching the battery on or off on the adaptor.

Observations after using it
1)Worked out of box and nice plug and play.Don't need rods, don't need 1000 page manual to read.
2)Some talked about distortion- at least I did not find any-rather even if it's there, I could not notice it.
3)Not much light loss-may be one to one and half stop which is unavoidable with any adaptor.
4)there is no extra negative effect the adaptor itself is introducing-this is the best thing about this adaptor.
5)I learnt that -Whatever adaptor you use-ultimately 2 things determine the picture quality-the SLR lens quality and the lighting.

About Quyen
Try talking/mailing him, he is the nicest guy around. He is very prompt and hardworking.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Madhav,

I worried about that I have to buy an expensive focus controller if I buy this adaptor. Do you think without focus controller, it is ok to use with gs400?

Regards
Leigh
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
3)It's lightweight
Is it possible to tell me exact weight? i.e. 400g

TIA

Regards
Leigh
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Madhav,

I also don't understand your need for flip. I think that you can simple flip the lcd screen which is free anyway and easy.

Regards
Leigh
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #11
New Boot

1)Weight: I don't know exact weight but it's light because of aluminium and other materials.
2)Flip: When you shoot, the image on LCD looks upside down, difficult for pinpoint composition. Ofcourse you can rotate the LCD to lens side and go infront of camera and look at it which is not upside down anymore- it's tedious and error prone. While shooting you will never be able to tell the composition precisely unless you physically go infront of camera.

3)Focus
I did not quite understand your concerns about focus. I do not know in what way the adaptor itself plays any role for focus.

Here is my little knowledge on this.
Rack focus is achieved by
1)by focus ring on SLR lens
2)By actually altering distance between camera and subject

For Follow Focus
When subject is moving ,move the entire cam setup to maintain distance between camera setup and subject.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #12
Major Player

FYI...

Rack focus is changing focus on the 35mm lens to shift focus from one object to another.

Follow focus is a device that remotely controls the focus of the 35mm lens, and usually allows you to hit predetermined focus points. Follow focus may also mean changing focus on the 35mm lens to maintain focus on a moving object, but that could also fall under the definition of rack focus.

Neither requires moving the camera.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM   #13
New Boot

Thanks Joshua for clarifying the jargon.
I tried with a powerful magnet of 2 3/8 inches and still the same thing- the image blurs on the LCD and LCD power goes off and when I turn off and on the power of cam, the LCD power doesn't turn on. ANy suggestions from GS400 owners who attempted magnet flip?
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:56 AM   #14
Major Player

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing it, so I would assume it is a mechanical switch, not a magnetic one (or a mechanical switch that cannot be tripped by a magnet).

You're best option may be an external LCD screen that can simply be physicall rotated.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM   #15
Regular Crew

yeah Josh is right. I went through several magnets trying to flip the LCD but no success. Ended up buying an external LCD.
Robert Double is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods