Letus35A & Sony170: some questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 4th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35A & Sony170: some questions

Hello,
I'm an proud owner of Quyen's device. I must say Wuyen is a great delare, very satisfied for his assistance, don't forget I live in Italy, so you can imagine how hard could be giving me assitance...but everything goes fine.

Now I find some little problem:

1) It's impossible shooting without a support rods, the micro lens flip out under the weight of SLR lenses and this makes very hard to matain focus, in fact the structure is not fixed to the cam. Where i can found plans for build a sort of mattebox for my letus + 170 cam?

2)Power. I heard the vibrating mechanism run out of power very soon, in fact you need a lot of battery to avoid grain in your shooting. How can I solve this? The cam and phone battery duration is give by th ampere of the battery, the more ampere give you more battery autonomy. If I change the two stylo of the mechanism and put a 6V battery with 6 Ampere could I solve? In theory more Volts= more vibrating= less grain , more Ampere= more duration...

Yes a 6v, 6A battery is very big and heavy, but i could put it in the back of mattebox, where usually ther's Xlr convert for example.

Anyother use letus and 170 could give me some feedback?

What do you think about this?

Bye
Marco Mezzalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Trustee

I think you're confusing amperes with ampere hours, which are the measurement of the capacity of batteries. 6 amperes will blow the motor to pieces. I'm sure the motor is rated for only a couple hundred milliamps.

Ampere hours is the product of the level of current a battery can provide multiplied by the number of hours it can provide that amperage for. So a 20 amp/hr battery can provide 2 amps for 10 hours, or 5 amps for 4 hours, etc. If I remember correctly, one AA battery has 1.6Amp/hr capacity. Since amperage of the battery depends on the resistance (I = V/R) you couldn't neccessarily measure the amperage unless you knew this value of the motor (use a multimeter).

I don't know where you heard the power runs out quickly, because I've had the same batteries in my Letus for 5 days straight of shooting and haven't run into any problems.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ah ok, I'm was wrong, I confuse A/h with A, some peolple told me their battery run out very soon, but now I'm happy to read that's could be false...In your opinion if I use 4 battery instead 2, could I have some benefit? Or ther's the possibility to blow the engine?

Another questions, whic is the easiest way to focus correctly to the GG?

thanks
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

You'd have to ask quyen if 4 batteries would be too much, but I've personally found that three really improves things.

I'm not sure what you mean about "focusing to the GG"...do you mean follow focus? Or do you mean adjusting the distance between the flange of the SLR mount and the GG itself? Because that should already be correct from the "factory"...
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I think he means focusing the camcorder on the ground glass.

I find the best way to do this is to take off the SLR lens, and point the cam/adapter at a bright light while the GG is static. This will showup all the grain and give you a good reference for focusing on the grain/glass.
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So you ben use 3 batteries and you find an improvement?Very interesting....

I try to explain:
Whith letus on my 170 I zoom until the GG fill the frame.
Then I usually set on the SLR 0.4 on focus ring, I put an pbject at 0.4m from the SLR, and I focus with the 170 focus ring, until the image are ok. Is this the easiest way?
The wayne way seem to be more simple, I will try it...
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Trustee

D'oh! I can't believe I didn't pick up on that...

Yes, the way Wayne describes is the method I use a lot. Other times, I'll just let the auto focus grab the GG, then I'll hit the manual focus button so it doesn't change on its own.
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
If I remember correctly, one AA battery has 1.6Amp/hr capacity.
Did you remember? Or cheat and look? Be honest!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Haha...in all honesty I don't even think that's correct. That's just what my rechargable batteries said because alkaline Duracells or Energizers don't say the amp/hr rating on the package. You'd have to google it or something.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods