Letus 35a vs. Redrock Adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #16
Trustee

Yes Luke, it is an option for a new Letus to have metal mount, for an extra $100, thanks.

Hehe...i sound like quyen
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #17
Major Player

G35 attaches via bayonet mount...just to clear that up. I believe it also has a thread option.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #18
Trustee

Ben says to you what you need to know, thanks.

I plan to buy a used Nikon SLR that is trashed and extract the metal mount someday. For now, my new plastic mount is working fine.

Ben, is the $220 Century Optics +7 achromatic diopter really worth the money? I am satisfied with the Letus35 image as it is, but I wouldn't mind trying something new if the benefit was significant.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #19
Trustee

If you're experiencing increasing abbheration as you approach the edge of the image, a better achromat would definately solve the problem--if you watch my One Headlight video, chromatic abbheration from the old stock Letus35 macro is very apparent in some shots. I think the bridge scene in particular (can't quite remember) shows how it gets worse as the bright areas near the edge of the image. This was my motivation to find a better one like the Century Optics. However I don't think the Century Optics is absolutely neccessary, there's got to be a cheaper solution--I just got it because I was able to nail it on ebay for $70. Ask Quyen for what model achromat he's shipping with the 35A, and that should probably work for you.

Last edited by Ben Winter; December 7th, 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
If you're experiencing increasing abbheration as you approach the edge of the image, a better achromat would definately solve the problem--if you watch my One Headlight video, chromatic abbheration is very apparent in some shots. I think the bridge scene in particular (can't quite remember) shows how it gets worse as the bright areas near the edge of the image. However I don't think the Century Optics is absolutely neccessary--I just got it because I was able to nail it on ebay for $70. Ask Quyen for what model achromat he's shipping with the 35A, and that should probably work for you.
In your video was the abberation with or without the achromat?
Luke Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #21
Trustee

Oh, sorry, I reread my post and realized it wasn't very clear which achromat I'm referring to. I shot the One headlight video with the stock Letus35 achromat. I don't have any footage available online demonstrating the Century Optics achromat.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Lots of good info here...I still haven't made a decision.

I have a rod system that is supposedly compatible with the redrock adapter so that is a plus, however I think I am handy enough to adapt a support to work with the letus.

Most of the redrock M2 footage I've seen looks a lot softer than the letus with either more flicker or possibly just noticable grain. The letus stuff seems to have more vinnetting (sp?) overall but seems to be a bit sharper. Also, I hear reports that there is a constant hum that is more noticable with the M2 over the letus.

Also, a wait time of anywhere from 4 weeks to 12 weeks (according to some) on the M2 is really discouraging.

Anyway, I'm still considering both so if anyone has hands on experience with both it would be great.

Oh, also there seems to be more chromatic abberation even on the letus "A" model than on the M2...not sure why.

The G35 has also yet to materialize. Their demo footage looks good as I said but I want to hear from someone who has actually used it before buying. Also, the first gen of anything is bound to have some bugs that need to be worked out.
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Just as an add-on to this thread, I wanted to mention that I see a lot of people asking this same question with no good answers. Most of the time the reply is "look at the footage" but that is not really a good measure of a product because the user's skill plays so much into the final result.

It would be really great if some of the more experienced posters here were able to get ahold of some demo units from the 35mm adapter makers and do a side by side "shootout" of them on some common cameras like the dvx100, xl2, etc. I think it would be invaluable to a lot of people.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #24
Major Player

Hey Ben,

How about a primer on how to put a new macro lens in the Letus35? I think alot of people are becoming interested in a new macro for it...

Just a suggestion...
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
If you're experiencing increasing abbheration as you approach the edge of the image, a better achromat would definately solve the problem--if you watch my One Headlight video, chromatic abbheration from the old stock Letus35 macro is very apparent in some shots. I think the bridge scene in particular (can't quite remember) shows how it gets worse as the bright areas near the edge of the image. This was my motivation to find a better one like the Century Optics. However I don't think the Century Optics is absolutely neccessary, there's got to be a cheaper solution--I just got it because I was able to nail it on ebay for $70. Ask Quyen for what model achromat he's shipping with the 35A, and that should probably work for you.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abbheration%20
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #26
Trustee

shhh! okay: chromatic aberration. :)
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #27
Major Player

You are some smart guy for someone who just pastes up bills or placards on walls or billboards, hey Bill Poster?

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...ll%20Porter%20
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #28
Major Player

Ha ha ha

If I were smarter I could think of a funny comeback!
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods