Flipping XL2 Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #1
New Boot

Flipping XL2 Viewfinder

I just placed an order for the Letus35A for my XL2.

Aware of the "image flipping" situation I am trying to find an affordable way of fixing it. I know I have to fix it on post anyway, but I just wanted (like many others) to fix the problem of "looking at the right footage at the moment its being shot".

I wonder if anyone has successfully done one of the followings and if so, would it be able to give some guidance (or even show some pics of your camera) of your successful attempt?

1. Opening the actual viewfinder and manually switching the display
2. Using magnets to flip image
3. Placing a mirror in the viewfinder

Thanks a lot!!
Paulo

Last edited by Paulo Salomao; December 19th, 2005 at 09:49 AM.
Paulo Salomao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Major Player

I have heard somewhere that the XL viewfinder can be unclamped and switched over to the other side, therefore rotating the finder 180 degrees. Not sure if its the xl1 or xl2.
Old December 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

You can mount it on the other side of the camera. It's kind of a tight fit with the microphone plugged in, but it works. Ergonomically, the camera is handicapped with it reversed like this. Just try it out and you'll know what I mean. It's useable though. This works with both the XL1 and XL2.

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/35mm/...Adapter_35.jpg

-steev
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #4
New Boot

Well, the problem with moving the viewfinder to the other side is that it becomes impossible to shoot with the camera on your left shoulder.

I am not sure how the magnet works, or the mirrors. I was just wondering if any successful someone would share he/she experiences with a step-by-step kind of thing...

Anyway, if no one did yet, once I figure it out I'll make sure to come back here and help the other XL2 brothers. :)

Thanks!
Paulo Salomao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Good luck tearing your XL2 apart. Other option is go buy an XL-H1 which has the image flip built in.
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Are you sure XL-H1 has the image flip built in? I have a customer emailed me last weekend and said that's what he thought until he actually tried it and he was disappointed. I wonder if anybody really use that function on that camera? Thanks.

Quyen
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Major Player

You assign Flip EVF to one of the Cutsom Keys.

It's explained on page 90 of the XL-H1 manual.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pd...LH1_manual.pdf
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

At last, the 35mm world is not upside down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Salomao
Well, the problem with moving the viewfinder to the other side is that it becomes impossible to shoot with the camera on your left shoulder.
I have just tried mounting the FU-1000 on the other side, not problem at all, although the MIC lead doesn't reach, at last I should be able to frame easily with a 35mm adapter !!.

I don't see either of these as issues though, as I would certainly not try using the XL2 with 35mm adapter, support rods, and another lens in a shoulder mount configuration, and very rarely use the on board MIC.

Yes, it's more awkward, but compared to trying to frame & keep framed your subjects with an inverted image (whilst focussing), it's not.

I personally would only use this configuration on a tripod and thus the change in position of the viewfinder will not be too much of an issue, just take getting used to.

Of course, everyone to their own !!

It seems so obvious to switch the viewfinder over. Nice tip, thanks.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods