My Homemade Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 25th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1
New Boot

My Homemade Adapter

I finally finnished making mine thanks to the help of all of you. It turned out alot harder than I anticipated, but I am more than satisfied. I did it more as a project and wasn't expecting anything spectacular. Here is what my setup looks like: http://media.newschoolers.com/upload...pter%20003.jpg . Instead of a support rod system, I went the ghetto way and just took some plywood and L brackets. For now, I have an Canon EF-S lens so the image is a tad bit smaller than a normal 35 mm lens would project. Also instead of buying one or two +7 lenses for $250 each, I just bought the kits that had +1,+2,+4 for $45 and just stacked them up. I'll upload some quick clips I took (all from inside a car, because it was raining the whole time I was trying to test it) when I find a site to do so. For now, I have some frame shots:
http://media.newschoolers.com/upload...2391Frame1.jpg
http://media.newschoolers.com/upload...2408Frame2.jpg
http://media.newschoolers.com/upload...2429Frame3.jpg
I wanted to know what are the main things people do in editing to make the image better.
Thanks,
Matt
Matt Katsaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
instead of buying one or two +7 lenses for $250 each
Holy overkill batman! It's well noted that a $40 +7 Hoya will do the job just fine, in fact much better than your stacked jobs. Never stack macros, especially three in a row. Get one that's powerful enough and use only that one. That'll improve your image a lot. Also, get a PXCL. ha...buying one or two for $250 each. You actually thought that's what people do? The Century Optics adapter is definately not neccessary.

Your image suffers from a lot of vignetting and barrel distortion. Minimizing the macros into once piece of glass and adding a condenser (PXCL) will do eons of good towards improving your image.

You can do a bunch of things in post to improve your image, but you can't make gold from cr*p.
Old December 25th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #3
New Boot

I brought what I had made to the guy at the local shop and he said he has seen a fair amount of them, and he took out the century optics +7 and we tried it and then said we should use another one. he told me, and i knew that it would reduce the quality alot, but i'm no pro and i wasnt about to spend 250. i wish i had known there was a different one for cheaper. wats a PXCL, where do i buy it, and does it go between the gg and 35 mm or wat? and for the record, im not going for gold, im really just going for some shiny metal...
Matt Katsaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #4
Major Player

is it a spinner?
Old December 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Major Player

I would try to get a macro that is more expensive if I were you. I think those +10 +7 Asian macro were a bit on the cheap side and others were having distortion and abberation problems with them. Go for the C. Optics like Ben ( a great idea ) or the Hoya and Tiffen (I have a tiffen +7 +10, but don't use them and they are for sale - shameless plug). I also have a Sigma Achromat that is +1.6 and is really great, but not strong enough. Something like that would do you alot of good. There was a link for a comparison of macro/achromats on the dvinfo.net that showed a bar code that was really good - here it is
http://home.planet.nl/~heuv0283/achromats.html

Matt,
What are the materials you used for your system? It looks like a project box, but I can't tell exactly because it doesn't look like the one they sell at R.Shack.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
New Boot

It is a project box, but I got it at Frys, cause the ones at radioshack were too big or too small. For the gg, I used a frosted CD, spun by a cd motor connected to 4 AA batteries with a switch on the outside.
Matt Katsaros is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods