DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   I want to build a DOF adapter. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/56818-i-want-build-dof-adapter.html)

Corey Aucutt December 25th, 2005 11:36 PM

I want to build a DOF adapter.

Okay, so I've read thousands of threads about these things and I'm still not sure what would be best.

I have a Canon XL-1 and I can't decide if it would be better to just go ahead and buy an adapter or build one. I'm perfectly fine buying one, but building would so much more fun. So my question is this, for and XL-1 should I use..

Static Wax adapter
Letus 35
Sg35
Micro35
Indie35
the "home depot" adapter
I know alot of these have there ups and downs but I wanted to know what people were using with an xl1. Almost everything I've read has to do with the DVX 100. Which I am now considering buying. Anyway, any input would help.

Brian Doyle December 26th, 2005 12:15 AM

What id the "home depot" adapter?

Sarena Valilis December 26th, 2005 12:44 AM

if i had the cash...

if i could afford it i would buy a ferarri rather than build one....

this is mainly due to the fact that i like driving ferarris more that i enjoy building anything....

i vote buy....

Chris Barcellos December 26th, 2005 01:10 AM

Redrock Build it Yourself kit

Like you, I thought do it yourself would be fun. I don't have any overriding need to have something like this at this moment, so it is more of a fun project than anything. For $45 they send you a pretty extensive set of instructions, with a ground glass.

I don't know if I'll ever get it done , but at least I have an idea what the project entails.

Chris Barcellos

Corey Aucutt December 26th, 2005 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Doyle
What id the "home depot" adapter?

http://home.comcast.net/~wauhkies/adapter/index.html

Jeff Tyler December 26th, 2005 11:19 AM

My adapter is kind of like the home depot adapter as it used pvc, mine is different because It attaches differently and I also use a Nikon D screen but I wouldnt recommend a static adapter for an xl1, because on my Panasonic PV-gs150 there is slight grain, and I'd imagine there would be highly noticeable grain on the xl1.

Corey Aucutt December 26th, 2005 02:24 PM

i'm really thinking about gettin the redrock micro. building would be more my thing as far as money. considering almost every other piece of equipment I use is either built or fudged in some way. I hear it's quite the pain in the ass though. has anyone used the DIY guide?

Keith Kline December 26th, 2005 02:54 PM

Redrock

I have the DIY guide from Redrock. It's fairly simple for the most part if your somewhat handy with tools. I have quite a few tools that came in handy for working on mine and made it go quicker. You can do most of it with pretty simple tools although it would take longer that way. I'm about 2/3 done with mine, but mstly was waiting to have the extra cash to order the parts. The parts that are difficult have a work around on the Redrock DIY guide section on their boards, so over all there's only a few tough parts.

Greg Bates December 26th, 2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Aucutt
i'm really thinking about gettin the redrock micro. building would be more my thing as far as money. considering almost every other piece of equipment I use is either built or fudged in some way. I hear it's quite the pain in the ass though. has anyone used the DIY guide?

I used it, and it was fun to do but I bought a Letus. The Micro delivery time is just way to long, as is the G35. The Letus works well and works now...and now there is an image flip. I'm thinking about picking up the sg35 as well, the images i've seen look damn good and i'm all about the little man as i've made purchases with Redrock/Letus/and Dan. You really can't loose with any of these guys.

Corey Aucutt December 26th, 2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Bates
....as is the G35.

are you reffering to the Guerilla 35? Is it out?

Greg Bates December 26th, 2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Aucutt
are you reffering to the Guerilla 35? Is it out?

No, but they were very smart in not putting a release date on the product