Dan Diaconu's MPIC 35mm Imager Review! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM   #31
Major Player

How about we keep this thread "clean" and move the discussion here?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=36209&page=34
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Easy does it, fellows. The best way to vote against a price you don't like is to simply not buy it. No wars here if you please. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
That OBVIOUS being; every single SLR camera (film or digital) uses a FRESNEL FOCUSING SCREEN INSTEAD OF a GG in the viewfinder. I wonder how can they ALL (Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Mamiya, Rolleyflex, etc) be so ST..ID to bother with focusing screens when it would be sooooo easy (AND CHEAP!!!!) to just use a.....gg.
All I do is move a focusing screen on the focal plane of a lens...

Isn't a fresnel focussing screen the same thing as a GG plus condenser? A fresnel lens does the same thing as a condenser and you still need a diffusing element, i.e. GG. The Beattie has a fresnel element and a ground plastic diffuser element, the problem with the beattie is the angular grain of the diffuser element. I took mine apart and combined the fresnel with 2 optosigmas face to face but it doesn't look any better than using condensers rather than the fresnel.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM   #34
Major Player

Looks like a "busy' year ahead of us. My one year old re is here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=36209
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:17 AM   #35
Inner Circle

In the midst of all this, has anyone seen how much a P+S Technik Mini35 costs these days? Just curious.

As for commercial production of these emulative devices, if it remains substantially within the enthusiast hobby level and at a volume which does not hurt, people can probably rest easier in their beds.

There will come a point where design, building and some selling of the devices goes beyond exposing people to the experiences of the most expensive original commercial product, potentially growing the market for that product and instead through direct competition, injures that enterprise.

However, if and when a provable commercial loss can be demonstrated, regardless of whether a patent or design can be proven protected or not, no one here can afford to defend a legal action, innocent or not.

If a party which perceives a loss becomes roused, this is how out of court settlements work.

People here are grown up and can conduct themselves according to their common sense and assessment of their vulnerabilities.

However, and this is my concern, discussion websites such as this may well be subpoenable or required to provide discovery in such a legal fracas. To provide that discovery from an extensive database such as consists this site might be a time consuming and costly exercise for the owners.

This complication might ultimately make continuity of resources such as this site unattractive or non-viable.

The webmasters here are also grown up and capable of making their own judgements and probably more competently than I for that matter.

For my small and selfish part, I want resources such as this site to continue, without fear, unfettered and free to me, so please folks, govern yourselves sensibly.

Here endeth this little soliloquy from grandpop.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #36
New Boot

Keeping in the spirit of 'Review'...

Hey gang,

I've had the pleasure of using the MPIC on a short preview project, shot in October of 2005, mounted on the XL2. I am pleased to state that the MPIC provided everything I had hoped for in terms of depth of field, and follow focus capabilities. All it really took was a sure hand on that FF...

I don't know about the Lotus, or the Mini35, but I sure do like the MPIC, and am seriously considering the purchase. However, I'm unsure as to the source stating $8000 as purchase price, as I believe Dan is selling his unit for approx. $2000.

That said, one happy filmmaker in regards to the MPIC's construction and it's impact upon indie film.

Thanks again, Dan!
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Cerminara
Hey gang,

I've had the pleasure of using the MPIC on a short preview project, shot in October of 2005, mounted on the XL2. I am pleased to state that the MPIC provided everything I had hoped for in terms of depth of field, and follow focus capabilities. All it really took was a sure hand on that FF...

I don't know about the Lotus, or the Mini35, but I sure do like the MPIC, and am seriously considering the purchase. However, I'm unsure as to the source stating $8000 as purchase price, as I believe Dan is selling his unit for approx. $2000.

That said, one happy filmmaker in regards to the MPIC's construction and it's impact upon indie film.

Thanks again, Dan!
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=36209&page=34

The price (as of today) is 4500 with a FF and a set of gears or 3600 just for MPIC (rods system included). Still a hell of a deal if you have the dough.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Cerminara
I've had the pleasure of using the MPIC on a short preview project, shot in October of 2005, mounted on the XL2. I am pleased to state that the MPIC provided everything I had hoped for in terms of depth of field, and follow focus capabilities.
Donovan, if you have any footage available, please post here, or email me privately. Thanks!

steev
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #39
Tourist

The MPIC Beauty

Greetings Everyone,

Last summer I attended a seminar previewing the MPIC in Vancouver and as I recall now it was the closest I had ever come to love at first sight for an inanimate object. As an aspiring filmmaker ensconced in the DV world, the adapter offered the promise of a beautiful film-like aesthetic - depth of field and follow focus. I am happy to say that Dan's MPIC has more than delivered on that promise.

I am presently in the middle of shooting my short film 'a dream upon waking' using the MPIC. Initially the project began with the MPIC mounted on the Panasonic 100A shooting 24P. After some concerns about the sharpness and clarity of the image, a comparison was later made with the Sony Z1U and Sony PD150. Oddly enough, to my surprise, the PD150 delivered the sharpest (and to me - best) image with and without the MPIC mount. What's so great about the Z1U again? But I digress, the picture I'm receiving now shooting dvcam on the PD150 using dan's system is amazing and as Donovan stated earlier...'all it really takes is a sure hand on that FF...

I have shared some stills from the shoot with Dan which he has on his website www.dandiaconu.om and after shooting wraps on February 1st I'll be happy to share some more stills and clips as well. It's sheer beauty!
Like Donovan before me I one happy filmmaker. And absolutely none of this would be possible without Dan's wealth of wisdom and the MPIC.

Thanks a million Dan!
Simeon Taole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #40
Trustee

You guys must be all renting it right?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #41
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
That's correct Michael.
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I purchased the MPIC system.
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #43
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simeon Taole
That's correct Michael.
I should add I'm obviously only speaking for myself on that one Michael. I would definitely recommend the MPIC for purchase though - I work as an editor and frequently come across DV projects that could've benefitted from the use of the MPIC. The proof is in the image... so stay tuned!
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #44
Regular Crew

great clips

Steve,

As usual great clips. Craziness and Wilderness. MPIC rocks. Do you happened to own a HVX let me know. I need to talk to you.

Happy new year,
Hari
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
Steve, As usual great clips. Craziness and Wilderness. MPIC rocks. Do you happened to own a HVX let me know. I need to talk to you.
Hey Hari! I hope the U35A is treating you well.

The HVX200 is on order from B&H, and I am impatiently waiting. Not fun. So I'm researching furiously to the point of being a guru without having touched the damn thing. As soon as it comes in, it will have the MPIC attached to it shooting the craziest crap I can conjure up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods