Dan Diaconu's MPIC 35mm Imager Review! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #46
Regular Crew

U35A treats me well

Steev,

Absolutely it treats me well for what i do. Did you have chance to look up at this site www.reel-stream.com. These guys modified dvx100a from 411 to 444 color sampling. What i mean is raw image capture and color correcting it with NLE.

HVX sounds lot of fun. What worries me is the P2 cards. So damn expensive.
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #47
Trustee

Heck, The Andromeda reel-stream mod sounds like fun but it's also "so damn expensive"--$3,000. Yikes.
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Heck, The Andromeda reel-stream mod sounds like fun but it's also "so damn expensive"--$3,000. Yikes.
For 3g's i'm buying a new camera.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #49
Major Player

Wow, this thread is derailing fast. Hari, email me for more discussion.

*Back to all things MPIC*
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #50
Major Player

Steev, may I ask how can DVX100 focus from such a small distance from MPIC? I`ve only rented DVX from time to time but haven`t used any macro settings on it if it has those at all...
... I remember reading about it from somwhere though.

Other thing that interests me is if MPIC has full frame coverage for 35mm SLR lenses?
I mean full 36x24 so that 50mm lens shows me 50mm lens angle of view and not some cropped one like cheap digital SLR`s do. For instance EOS 350D has crop factor of 1,6 what means 22,2x14,8 frame size plus it adds 1,6X teleconverter effect so once popular 50mm lens becomes something like 80mm lens and so on.

I quess almost all afordable adapters suffer from that cropping by means of camcorders zooming in and showing less than full 35mm frame. Correct me if I`m wrong.

Thanks in advance,
T.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #51
Trustee

Actually, the whole point of these adapters is to get a 35mm image size. Assuming everything is working properly and aligned, you will get a 1:1 ratio between the image on your video camera as you would with a 35mm film camera with the same lens.

Also, most video cameras with small CCDs (1/3" and 1/4") have a fairly close focus capability. There are no special macro settings, the lenses just happen to focus close. Regardless, many of the 35mm adapters use macro lenses in their optics. The MPIC design does not use a macro, but it works anyway. The reason one is not used is to limit the number of lenses the image must pass before being recorded (as stated by Dan) to keep image quality the best. All lenses create aberration, and the fewer the better. Even filters can add unwanted reflections. The fewer the better. I like the MPIC design because of this simplicity and if I could afford it, that would be my choice. Maybe if my camera holds out that will be next after a follow-focus!
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #52
Major Player

Yes, you get the full frame. It's a true 35mm image you are capturing, not cropped.

More test footage tweakage...

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/H...re_1200kbs.mov
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM   #53
Regular Crew

low light

Good example of how it handles low light. Sounds like no extra lighting is needed for a horror film.
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #54
Major Player

More goofin around with this thing:

http://www.holyzoo.com/media/video/H...ar_Tweaker.mov
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #55
Major Player

Are you taking requests? How about Smoke on the Water, er, gasp, choke....

Cool clip.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Cool. A red PRS. Just like mine :)

That some fun editing there. I like that you called it "guitar tweaker" hahah

Keep the footage coming! it's maaavelous
Jesse Rosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #57
Regular Crew

hvx200&mpic

Steve,

I'm thinking of buying mpic. I shot couple of footage with youir UA35 and its awesome. I need to post it in my website. No time.

I need your input on something. Does the MPIC work for HVX200. Also i'm thinking of using sony HDX-F100 HDV. I'm thinking probably the MPIC wont work on HDX-F100. Well i asked you for help i think you were busy. So i'm ending up buy one.

Please let me know man.

regards,
Hari
Old February 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #58
Major Player

Hari, yes, the MPIC works with the HVX200. I think it would be even better with a Century Optics 82mm diopter, since the HVX200 doesn't focus as closely to the lens in macro mode as the DVX100. Hence, I'm getting some slight vignetting, but that won't stop me from being creative with it. On the other hand, the MPIC works perfectly on the DVX100 plain and simple.

And, yes, I've been incredibly busy testing everything out, and preparing for future shoots.
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #59
Regular Crew

gear

Steve,

Thanks Steve. Little bit of clarification. I'm getting the total package from Dan. The MPIC does it come along with letus rod mount with camcorder mount support to use slr lenses.

I'm kind of confused with what kind of rod support is given along with the MPIC.

What is the Mighty Universal Focus Gear aka MUG?
Is MUG used for attaching MPIC for any camera?
I'm really impressed with Universal Follow focus. I saw the clip its a smoooooth operator.

Dan is the Bomb.

regards,
Hari
Old February 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
Steve, Thanks Steve. Little bit of clarification. I'm getting the total package from Dan. The MPIC does it come along with letus rod mount with camcorder mount support to use slr lenses. I'm kind of confused with what kind of rod support is given along with the MPIC.
It ships with mount with rails. Contact Dan for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
What is the Mighty Universal Focus Gear aka MUG? Is MUG used for attaching MPIC for any camera?
I'm really impressed with Universal Follow focus. I saw the clip its a smoooooth operator.
MUG is the gear that attaches to each lens, so you can use the Universal Follow Focus to pull focus. Dan can tell you much more.

Fire questions Dan's way. He offers world class support. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods