HJPE35 - An Agus35 Style Device. - Toe In Cold Water Survey. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HJPE35 - An Agus35 Style Device. - Toe In Cold Water Survey.

Assuming I can get some assurances from other players in this image relay device playing field that I won't be trussed up in a litigation nightmare, would there be anyone interested if a limited production run of 100 units occurred for an AGUS35 style image relay device which attaches directly to camcorders.

I am prompted in this direction by periodic enquiries from people regarding the Australian plumbers versions I have been playing around with since early 2005.

It is intended that the device be a niche product for home-build enthusiasts, not a direct competitor against other commercial products.

The current developments perform only at best to about 700 TV lines resolution for the 5 micron backpolished disk groundglass version.

The base specs would be :-

Front mount for Nikon FM2 compatable prime f1.8 lenses of 24mm, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm.

Rear mount for attachment at Lens Hood bayonet mount fitting to Sony VX2000/PD150/VX2100/PD170, Sony HDRFX1, Canon XM1/GL1 and XM2/GL2 camera families, Panasonic DVX100>> family of 4:3 and 16:9 native format cameras.

Camera baseplate brace to casework, incorporating new tripod mount baseplate and threaded holes for both sizes of mount studs.

5 Micron groundglass optical grade 120mm diameter x 0.9mm thickness disk. (Oharadisk.).

Image erection via two right-angle coated prisms.

Century Optics 7+ Achromatic dioptre. 58mm x 0.7mm thread mount, with adaptor where needed for 72mm x 0.7mm thread mount.

Backfocus adjustments accessable through case.

Internal 1.5v dry cell battery power.

Custom options do-able on the basic design :-

Choice of 5 micron optical grade groundglass disk, backpolished to more closely integrate with direct television camera origination, or not backpolished to more closely emulate motion film origination. Making this inbuilt selectable would require major re-design of the disk enclosure case.

Selectable choice of groundglass rear-projection or aerial image relay to camcorder.

Insertable adaptors to carry Bolex style filter gel insert slot to enable additional white balance beyond capability of camera systems and additional neutral density filtering beyond capability of camera systems or Live Technologies in-path 35mm film format electronic smart-filter if this version should become committed to production.

Internal LED light source to emulate effect of pre-fogged film stock - a look like 7252 low-contrast 16mm motion picture reversal film. Collateral benefit of being able to check lens for dust and fingermarks at night, also if cap left on.

The design would remain based on commonly available PVC hardware components where possible to keep it simple and enable repair in the field.

The device could be available as a shortform kit, full DOY kit or fully built up.( "RTF").

Current evolutions are buildable from scratch by persons with sound home workshop skills of the level required to construct a flyable model aircraft from materials and plans.

The ability required is to be able to work to the accuracy of the thickness of a ballpoint pen line.

Case construction errors of up to 5mm can be accommodated by the non-erecting design and the optical centre-axis can still be restored.

The prism erecting design is far less forgiving but construction errors of up to 5mm in non-critical areas can still be accommodated.

Furthur accessory options might be:-

Additional adjustable bracework and adaptors to enable balanced tripod use of specialty lenses in the aerial image mode such as Nikon FM2 mount compatable sports telephoto or zoom lenses.

A PL mount version with cast alloy front to suit "Elite" brand 35mm cine prime lenses.

A carry case for the unit and Nikon Lens set, plans or a kit to build one.

Bridge piece to enable rods support of matte boxes etc..

Some added notes :-

(Some constant aperture f2.8 Nikon zoom lenses and the Sigma 50-500mm f4-f6.3 are known to work on the prototype device in groundglass mode into a 24mm x 18mm frame on the groundglass without falloff and onto a 28mm x 18mm frame with some falloff (hotspot effect). In the aerial image mode, there is also the same falloff at the sides, especially with the 16:9 cameras.)

Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter anybody?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes: What does HJPE stand for?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Harding Junction Production Entity.

I have an Australian Business Number under that name.

For any video work such as it is, I trade as Darangula Films. My current project is to build up an aviation video library with a longterm view to assembling a half hour pilot for a TV magazine presentation on "Lifestyles of airplanes and the people who inhabit them".

As you might already know, aircraft in flight can be pretty uncompetitive motion image-wise unless you can get close enough to them in flight or from the ground to fill the frame and to see the persons riding the beasts. Developing the skillset to bring this about with low-rent gear is a challenge.

For inflight air-to-airs, I have attempted to build a miniature steadicam with mixed success. It needs supplemental gyros but not so powerful as to limit agility or ability to fit inside small light aircraft.

For the ground-to-air shots is why I have been operating the AGUS35 with groundglass out for aerial image and using a Sigma 50 - 500mm zoom, by far the best use I have found for it.

You can use long prime lenses but aquiring and then tracking a moving object at that narrow field of view is near impossible without a zoom or another camera in wideangle to help you get back onto the subject. It gets really interesting with a 2x doubler on the Sigma, effectively 1000mm. With a 2x doubler on a 1080mm MTO it gets downright ridiculous and quite blurry by the time you cut through 20km of city haze.

I operate one cam in wide and another with the long zoom on as a harmonised pair on an old Miller Fluid Head with hickory legs and a bad attitude. Its got a nice smooth action but has the demeanour of a giraffe with madcow disease on smooth concrete. I have to make some spreaders for it.

The disk-in use of the AGUS35 has been for testing and development and so far three short student projects.

That's the story.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart
I am prompted in this direction by periodic enquiries from people regarding the Australian plumbers versions I have been playing around with since early 2005.
The very last being me, wasn't it?
Sounds interesting Bob. Interested I am.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have had only two enquiries for this device which will not give me any buying power for components so as far as building it for others, I won't be going there as the cost involved will be out of all proportion to the value compared to other versions already out there.

If ayone wants a quick and dirty method of trying the "pre-fogging" effect of adding light to the disk image without the hassle of wires, dropping resistors and LEDs, just shove an optical data cable (you know the ones which connect to your DVD-videoplayer) in through a small hole, secure it about 1/2" off the groundglass, facing away from the camcorder onto the groundglass, shine a torch into the other end to put in some light, or point the end directly towards the sun.

Although there will be an irregular pattern to the light from this, it is still an interesting effect which could go furthur in the hands of the right inventer.

My plan was to add light into the disk edge via a diffuser to illuminate the groundglass from the inside.

If anyone wants plans for the plumbers versions made from PVC sewer pipe and caps, I can email them or post them up somehere once they are updated for the thinner longer prisms to suit the FX1 and DVX camera styles.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods