Guskers35 and inverted rail system...thanks guys! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #61
Trustee

I wonder if there would be any consequences in using the camera upside down like that. Maybe tape mechanism misalignment or other problems?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #62
Major Player

Michael, I doubt it. The tape alignment mechanism has to be far more precise than to allow gravity to be an issue. I could use the cam upright on those rails by lowering the plate, but I find it much more convenient in post to just capture and go. I don't like the idea of messing with footage before I even start editing it to rotate and flip.

I reposted the EIA1956 frame grab from the original footage and I'll agree it sure looks like the GS400. I did confirm from the audio recorded during the test that the coarseGG footage is indeed the correct footage, as is the grab I just redid. I'm going to redo this test altogether as I'm thinking the GS400 bare grab is incorrect.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #63
Major Player

No adapter GS400 EIA1956
Coarse GG EIA1956
Fine GG EIA1956

Here are grabs from the second test. Alain was right, I goofed and posted two grabs from my coarse GG footage. There is some softening with the coarse and fine GGs...but not much in the way of resolution loss. I'd say it's a wash between the two surface treatments.

So I guess the question is this: Is the difference simply the look that we are trying to emulate? Both coarse and fine GG's offer what seems to be adequate resolution, and seemingly identical resolution. The only difference potentially is how out of focus areas look, right? If this is the case, then the finish on the GG could be simply another tool for a stylistic image type. To be honest, I like the look of the finer diffusion GG footage better....although I realize the coarser GG looks more like film.
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:06 AM   #64
Major Player

Now here's a test shot with the coarse GG. The sun wasn't co-operating, but I think the change in look is evident.

Coarse GG test shot
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM   #65
Major Player

Beautiful!!! I think this glass has much better diffusion, them trees go more out of focus then your previous footage. Footage is sharp! Well done Dennis. Question, what camcorder was it again?
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM   #66
Major Player

Thanks Wayne. The cam is a GS400 in pro-cinema (30F) mode. The sun came out, and after a bunch more footage, I realize the GG is too coarse. Fortunately I order a full range of media grit sizes so I'm back to a bit more testing. This GG was done with very coarse media (like 20-40)
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM   #67
Major Player

What made you decide the GG was too coarse?
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM   #68
Major Player

The sun came out and I took a bunch of footage. You could see the spinning grain in the DV file :-( The answer lies betwixt the two.

Edit: - the grain showed at 1/250s shutter...perhaps this is OK? I don't have a 50-72 step up ring to use my 72mm filters on the 50mm lens....so I upped the shutter speed. The first test clip was partially shot at 1/250s and showed no rotating grain.

Last edited by Dennis Wood; January 21st, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #69
Major Player

Here's what I believe to be the final GG. What do the critics think? I need to do some outside shots, with higher shutter speed. What shutter speed do most of these things start getting ugly at?

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...cd61e9299bcbce
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Here's what I believe to be the final GG. What do the critics think? I need to do some outside shots, with higher shutter speed. What shutter speed do most of these things start getting ugly at?

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php...cd61e9299bcbce
There is some odd halo effect going on. I like it actually, but may not be suitable for all purposes. I think it may be ghosting from the source image getting past the GG. Do a test, hold the GG without the SLR lens and check that when you look at it you cannot see anything though it. Try something with contrast like a printed page or a lightbulb or something like that. If you can see a defined shape through the GG, you are getting ghosting.

Ideas anyone?
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #71
Major Player

No idea, but the light source was 1000 watts, and not diffused....so the figure and glass are reflecting pretty strongly. This GG is very diffuse...a 100 watt light bulb at about 6 feet is not visible at all. There is likely a very small wobble in the GG (like .2 mm) from a collet mount that is not completely true. I'm not sure this is the culprit.

This is a pretty tough test...but that's what I was looking for.

This from Dan's MPIC (and a much better cam too) http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album16/candelabre2 showing a similar effect.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods