DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   35mm/DOF adapter for Canon GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/58716-35mm-dof-adapter-canon-gl2.html)

Chris Simpson January 20th, 2006 12:17 AM

35mm/DOF adapter for Canon GL2?

I have a Canon GL2. I like the idea of having a more cinematic DOF available to me for my films. I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase one, and what you would recommend for the GL2 that's less than $400. Or, is there is something better to spend ~$400 on for the GL2 than a DOF adapter?

Also, if I get a 35mm/DOF adapter, will I need to buy anything else to make it fully functional, such as a lens? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

R.P. Cuenco January 20th, 2006 12:51 AM

you can get a letus35 for $300 then a nice 50mm or 24/35-80mm zoom to go with for under $100.

other than that, you could also get a mic thats better than the onboard and a beachtek to go with.

Chris Simpson January 20th, 2006 02:05 AM

Also, do these adapters really offer a better solution than just, say, zooming in to a point of desired DOF? Do the adapters offer results that are different than zooming in? (Not compressing the depth of the image, not having to stand further away, etc.)

In addition, you said a 50mm lens. The GL2 is native 58mm, wouldn't that work better, or is there a specific reason for going with a 50mm?

Thanks again

R.P. Cuenco January 20th, 2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

Also, do these adapters really offer a better solution than just, say, zooming in to a point of desired DOF?
yes. though the image won't be as sharp as zooming it, it will allow you to shoot with the camera close. no standing 50 feet away to get the same framing.

another great advantage is that a 35mm adapter adds the ability to have interchangeable lenses at a fraction of the cost.

Ben Winter January 20th, 2006 04:50 AM

Quote:

In addition, you said a 50mm lens. The GL2 is native 58mm, wouldn't that work better, or is there a specific reason for going with a 50mm?
The entire point of these adapters is to use manual SLR lenses with them to acheive the DOF of an SLR camera. You have to have a lens to go with any of these adapters. Otherwise, you'd just be filming a blurry translucent ground glass.

Once you put one of these adapters onto your camera, the GL2's lens becomes essentially useless--that is, you don't zoom in or adjust focus. That becomes the job of the new manual lens that these adapters let you use. Follow?

Bill Porter January 20th, 2006 09:43 AM

That's right, Ben, but I wouldn't say "useless." It must present and functioning correctly. Perhaps a better word is "locked down" or something.

Chris Simpson January 20th, 2006 10:18 AM

I was refering to the threading size.

Alain Bellon January 20th, 2006 11:01 AM

Also note that if you zoom in, the background imagery gets magnified along with the subject. This is not the case with the use of a smaller DOF lens, where you keep depth both in the focusing and in the relative size of the background and subject.

Chris Simpson January 20th, 2006 11:36 AM

What do I need to know about buying a lens system to go with the Letus35? Is Canon FD or Nikon AI a better choice?

I'm surprised to find very few lenses with f-stops that are smaller numbers. Seems most of the zoom lenses are around 3 or 4, and only a handful of non-zoom (50mm) are f/1.4. Can anybody provide some more information or a resource for what I should know about buying a lens?

Thanks

Ben Winter January 21st, 2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Simpson
I was refering to the threading size.

I don't see how that has anything to do with what lens you use then.

Chris Simpson January 21st, 2006 11:08 AM

I was mistaken. I often get the focal length and the thread size confused, since they are both measured in mm with no other identifiers.

Henrik Prip January 28th, 2006 09:25 AM

Hello Chris,

very first thing You have to be concerned is Your camcorder's MFD(minimum focusing distance). To use DOF adapter natively(without adding achromatic diopters) should MFD remain under 100mm. Most manufacturers support that distance(ask it from manufacturer additionally). Your camcorder, GL2, should have a small MFD(not sure 100%), so You,re lucky at this point.

Second is Your camera mount. Usually it depends of Your camcorder's filter thread size(the number You mentioned 58mm). Most common thread sizes are: 43, 52, 58, 72mm. So You're lucky here as well.

Third is Your photolens. What lens You planning to use. Sometimes people have something in their garage from old 35mm photo times. Each lens have mount to attach lens to potocamera's body. This is also used to attach Your lens to Your DOF adapter. Here DOF adapter act photocamera's body. In other words DOF-adapter must have support to Your photolens. Most common mounts are: Canon FD, EF, Nikon F, M42, Minolta MD, Pentax K .

Max iris size. Don't use photolenses with max aperture under 2.8. First because You're about to missing the point of adapter(if Your idea was to achieve shallow dof). Second, you'll experiencing problems at less than 5.6 - noticeable grain etc (some manufacturers claim that their adapter don't have - their joking :) ). To get rid static grain at small iris sizes is option to use moving GG adapters (like here mentioned letus35). But You'll expierencing then maybe some other problems. Best is to use 2.0 - 1.8 photolenses.

Good Luck!

Jimmy Herdberg January 29th, 2006 04:33 AM

I have a GL2 and a 35mm adapter and I'm really satified with it. I think the GL2 is the perfect camera for 35mm adapters because the 58mm thread is close to the SLR lenses size (52mm). See some clips here: http://www.kokokaka.com/35mm

Chris Simpson January 30th, 2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy Herdberg
I have a GL2 and a 35mm adapter and I'm really satified with it. I think the GL2 is the perfect camera for 35mm adapters because the 58mm thread is close to the SLR lenses size (52mm). See some clips here: http://www.kokokaka.com/35mm

The DOF in those clips don't really seem to be much more shallow than what the GL2 already has. Would the Letus35 provide different results?

Joel Kreisel January 31st, 2006 01:39 AM

Chris, I think you may be misunderstanding DOF a little. Zooming in will not decrease your DOF. Only a larger target (35mm imager) or larger aperature can do that. Zooming in merely creates the effect of shrinking the DOF. The problem with that approach is that it also compresses the distance, distorting sizes and making everything look flat. The advantage of having 35mm DOF is that we can maintain the sense of depth without having to have everything in focus at the same time.