Letus35 frame size and vignetting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 20th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #1
New Boot

Letus35 frame size and vignetting

Hello there,

I've had the Letus35 (attached to a GS400) for a while now, mostly shooting test footage with different settings and lighting conditions to get used to it and its strong/weak points... I want to shoot a short film but before I want to be really comfortable with it. Overall, I'm really happy with it and I'm already getting very nice results. :)

The only real issue I've found so far is that in order to get rid of the vignetting I have to zoom in all the way until the camera loses focus on the GG, and the zoom back just a bit in order to get focus again. The problem with this is that even if I use wide lenses (well, the wider I have is 28mm...), I get an undiserable zoomed-in effect, with a very narrow angle of view.

I don't have a video to show this right now, but I'll upload one as soon as I get home. Is there any way to overcome or fix this problem? I read something about a macro lens, but I'm afraid I'm not sure about how this works...

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

PD: Oh yeah... I'm using 50mm f/1.4 and 28-70mm f/2.8 lenses.
Lucas Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Major Player

I had the same problem - for me it seems a problem for the pana camera then the Letus35 itself.
I put a condenser right in front of the DV lens and it fixed the problem right up - even in low light it is pretty good now
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Leo,

What kind and where did you get your condenser?
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I got it with a 8mm camera. I found one after looking and ripping apart many of them and just got lucky. Can't even remember what kind of 8mm it was. Just keep looking I guess - but it is definitely a glass condenser.
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a gs-400 and a letus35. I didn't have a problem getting it to focus.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Leo,

I think by "what kind" he was asking if it is a PCX, a DCX, a fresnel, a doublet, etc. A condenser is really not a type of lens, any convex lens can be used as a condenser but also as a magnifier. So the term condenser doesn't tell us what kind of lens you are talking about.

Oh and I think if you put the lens next to the DV cam, then it is not acting as a condenser anymore but as a magnifier (as far as I understand).
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Could be the case. It is a convex piece of glass and it has gotten rid of the vignetting, so maybe it is magnifying, maybe condensing the light - all I know is that is work!
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Excellent! :)
Alain Bellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:25 AM   #9
New Boot

So, what kind of convex glass would be needed for this sort of "mod". Do you have any links or pictures to share? :)

Lucas
Lucas Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Most folks are using achromats for this purpose. It's a two element lens (glued together) which serves as a macro without colour aberrations.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods