a solution to remove static grain? - Apple Shake ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

a solution to remove static grain? - Apple Shake ...

As I have got a quasi static adapter up and running i am now interested to get the most out of it without having to do the indepth research etc hehe...

I work in a post production house and just remembered how I was mucking around with shake to remove grain (not required i was just checking it out) 16mm scans the other day..and figured it should work GREAT on this especailly since the grain is static, there should be less to do right?

So i'm just wondering if anyone has tried this yet and if so, how did it turn out?

I'll shoot some stuff when i get the rings to connect my adapter to my camera and give it a burl so i ca let u guys know...
Justin Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

actually, if the grain is totally static, you shouldnt even need a plugin. shoot some still footage of a gray card or something else with flat color and uniformly lit. you could then use the resulting still to make an inverse garbage matte to at least partially correct the grain. depending on the structure of the grain (never worked with a DOF adapter, so i am speaking from a position of conjecture), you should be able to see some good results, i would think..
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Major Player

This was discussed December 2004:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=grain+removal

I tried it out in After Effects and I wasn't very satisfied with the result. Shake may do a far better job, but it's certainly no replacement for using a moving element 35mm imaging design to reduce and eliminate grain phenom.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thx for the link steev, I just did a quick test.. and ya, it gets quite a bit softer when the grain is removed...

here is a grab with the grain removed...

http://users.on.net/~harbinger/degrain_test.jpg

here is one with the grain...
http://users.on.net/~harbinger/grain.jpg

ignore the light change, they are 2 diff shots, I forgot what frame the first one was, though it is similar...

pardon the dirty GG....and framing... i was holding the lens to the adapter and the adapter to the camera...
Justin Tran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods