Medium Fomat Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Medium Fomat Lenses

I was just wondering if anyone out there had done any experimentation with medium format lenses. It seems to me that if you project a 60mmX60mm image on a focusing screen then static grain would become less of an issue as the particles would be relatively smaller (4X roughly) and possibly bypass the need for an oscillating adapter. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a newbie here and don't have any experience with this kind of thing. What would be the pitfalls of such a setup?
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Trustee

If you can afford medium format lenses, you can afford not to experiment and just buy a real setup. At least that's my understanding.
Old January 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Not really. 500-1000 dollars for a good lens is fair. Spending 10000 so you can mount one is a little unbalanced. I was reading some of your other stuff about altering the Letus and I had a question? Typically how far in do you have to zoom to acheive focus and avoid vignetting. Thanks, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Trustee

About a fourth of the way on the zoom bar diagram. I think the price of medium-format lenses may be scaring people off. And I'm not just talking about the Mini35, I'm referring to Dan's MPIC, which is a good bit cheaper.
and besides,

Quote:
500-1000 dollars for a good lens is fair.
I really don't think anybody who goes through the trouble of getting one of these adapters is just going to shoot with one lens. Besides, while you might call 500-1000 "fair," 100-200 is a lot "fairer."
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Trustee

There's somebody here who made an adapter to use with medium format lenses and a DVX100. I think he may actually sell them too, not sure. Maybe somebody will post the link. But I think besides “possibly” smaller grain, there are not really any other advantages to them. Remember that medium format lenses are not as sharp as 35mm SLR. Motion picture lenses use an even smaller frame than SLR and no D.P. that I know will ever prefer shooting with a Nikon SLR instead of a real Cine lens because of the bigger frame. So that should tell you something. Frame size is not all that counts.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #6
Major Player

MF have relatively less DOF so you'd have to consider if you want that. I don't see why they would be less sharp though. One other thing you need to know is the light loss, because the bigger frame might reduce the brightness. I know my Rolleichord absorbs too much light and can't be used (except for outdoor shots perhaps) but a Rollei build-in lens has a small aperture.
You would need a very big condenser too.
The grain is a very big advantage though.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Trustee

Grain is not necessarily a bad thing.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #8
New Boot

Medium format lens are usually slower than 35mm lens.
Ted West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods