Why need adapter power at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why need adapter power

It's not clear to me why a adapter need power
Outher question is can you also be able to use your zoom option with the adapter.
Cengiz Ozgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Trustee

*cracks knuckles* oh boy, here we go...

Cengiz, a 35mm adapter works by positioning a translucent focusing screen in front of the camera, between the 35mm manual lens and the camcorder. The purpose of the translucent focusing screen is to allow the image to be projected onto it. The camcorder then records what it sees is being projected onto this screen. But because the screen isn't totally free of imperfections, and will have what we call "grain" (tiny pits and/or bumps in the surface of the material) we need to vibrate/oscillate or rotate this focusing screen at a high enough speed so motion blur effectively eliminates this "grain". Movement like this usually requires a motor, and motors usually require power.

When you focus your camera on the focusing screen, you have to leave your camcorder's zoom and focus controls alone, because now the image is being controlled by the manual lens you're using on the front of the adapter. If you want zoom capabilities, you must purchase a manual zoom lens.

I hope you understand adapters more clearly--this sort of thing is why I vote for a sticky to be posted outlining general details like this.

It's ok though--I was just as confused as you are when I first found this site, believe me. :)
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #3
New Boot

I vote for sticky as well.
Mike Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Major Player

it can be quite confusing (and exciting) when you are just finding out about these. lots to learn
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Sticky! I don't remember how long it took me to learn just that much when I first found out about these.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Haupt
Sticky! I don't remember how long it took me to learn just that much when I first found out about these.

I second that! I don't know how many posts I read, and how much research I did just to find out how they worked?!?!?!? I looked everywhere.

I want to build one when I get the time.

Mike
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

mike.. i built a few of my own.. ended up just settling for buying a 2nd hand letus35.. it works amazing.. seems to be alot easier seeing how these people selling theirs have already down the legwork for you.. but if its something you want to try out on your own definately go for it .. its pretty fun.
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
mike.. i built a few of my own.. ended up just settling for buying a 2nd hand letus35.. it works amazing.. seems to be alot easier seeing how these people selling theirs have already down the legwork for you.. but if its something you want to try out on your own definately go for it .. its pretty fun.

Hi Andrew,

Ya, I know how that is. I would be doing it mostly for the fun of it. I used to own an industrial machine shop and just love designing and building things. I picked up a lathe recently to make bushings and stuff when I built my dolly, and I am getting ready to get a vertical mill. Just manual and not CNC, but I can’t stand not having my machines!

Have fun!

Mike
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter

I hope you understand adapters more clearly--this sort of thing is why I vote for a sticky to be posted outlining general details like this.

It's ok though--I was just as confused as you are when I first found this site, believe me. :)
Ben, i second that. When i first found this section of the site, i had no idea what they were talking about. After finding the Mini35, a lot of it was cleared up, but it was confusing before that.
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Major Player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field_adapter

Link above could perhaps be a sticky, as it details the 35mm adapter concept fairly well.
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

very simple and concise article on 35mm adapters, i vote for sticky as well

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods