DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Letus35 flip dust speckles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/59969-letus35-flip-dust-speckles.html)

Sean Michael February 5th, 2006 09:52 PM

Letus35 flip dust speckles

Is there anyway to open up the letus35 flipped without things falling out of place it and blowing compressed air into it to get rid of the dust speckles?

I would send it to quyen, but I have a shoot this Wednesday...

Daniel Apollon February 6th, 2006 02:07 PM

Dust and Letus35 Flip

There is definitely a dust problem in the Letu35 Flip. You should contact Quyen to be instructed at a distance how to clean it. It is a non-trivial affair since you will have to get into the flip housing or the groud glass part (exactly where depends on where the dust&dirt is located). It is very very easy to damage the surface-coated (?) mirrors inside or scratch the macros.
In my opinion the Letus35 Flip should be shipped guaranteed dust&dirt free and be 100% hermetically sealed for ever. It is in my opinion the only - but significant - quality issue in a product which, is, in my opinion amazing.

R.P. Cuenco February 6th, 2006 02:36 PM

The furthest ive gone with taking it apart is removing the vibrating gg mechanism. after that, the screws holding the mirror assembly are glued underneath the pcx and the achromat. also, if you look closely at the crack that the two halves of the mirror assembly create, you can actually see the mirrors. quyen, if you're listening, seal these two parts with silcone or something after you blast them with air please.

if we're on the subject of letus35 flip issues id like to bring this up. does anyone get sort of this ghost image on their adapter? i believe its a reflection caused by an uncoated pcx lens. the convex side of the lens is facing the gg and i think the case is it's bouncing the light back onto the gg. not alot, but noticeable. if you look close enough, its smaller version of what the gg is transmitting but upside down (meaning at the gg > pcx level its right-side up). ill try to get a grab of this.

Marcus Marchesseault February 7th, 2006 02:04 AM

I've had the ghost reflection issue and I don't have the image flip. There are two pieces of glass in the Letus, so I don't know which one is the culprit. Perhaps if there are coated macro lenses available, we could eliminate that as a culprit. I'm guessing a coated achromat might be a bit expensive, but that is another avenue. I think it is a reflection between the two pieces of glass since a reflection on the GG would reflect very diffuse. My reflections are quite sharp. I only had them in one very specific circumstance. I was shooting a blacksmith in a dim room and the extremely bright hot steel workpiece was ghosting. Would a coated UV filter in front of the macro cut down the ghosting?

Oh, yeah, I forgot. I opened one end of the Letus and hit it with compressed gas and that ended up removing dust from both ends of the adapter. I think the hurricane-force gas can blow dust from around a corner. :)

Greg Bates February 7th, 2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.P. Cuenco
The furthest ive gone with taking it apart is removing the vibrating gg mechanism. after that, the screws holding the mirror assembly are glued underneath the pcx and the achromat. also, if you look closely at the crack that the two halves of the mirror assembly create, you can actually see the mirrors. quyen, if you're listening, seal these two parts with silcone or something after you blast them with air please.

if we're on the subject of letus35 flip issues id like to bring this up. does anyone get sort of this ghost image on their adapter? i believe its a reflection caused by an uncoated pcx lens. the convex side of the lens is facing the gg and i think the case is it's bouncing the light back onto the gg. not alot, but noticeable. if you look close enough, its smaller version of what the gg is transmitting but upside down (meaning at the gg > pcx level its right-side up). ill try to get a grab of this.

It is the split in the flip causing the ghosting, ie light coming in to the split reflecting on the mirror, the solution is a little electrical tape on the seam.

Jay Rodriguez February 7th, 2006 10:39 AM

there's a dust issue with all of the Letus35 products, not just the flip. As a Letus35a owner I must say that it sucks when you work so hard at cleaning all of the dust out and off of the lens but see later in post that there's a bunch of black dots littering your image. I hate this adapter the beause of that.