What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Major Player

What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?

Sorry I couldn`t find anything regarding Sanyo`s new Xacti HD1 and DOF adapters...
... progressive scan HD, full manual exposure and MFD of 10mm I`m thinking that this little thing could make up quite nice SD capturing system for DOF adapters?

Not good at low light (f 3.5) but still better than most $800 MiniDV cams out there.

Xacti HD1 thread goes here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58228
200 pages user manual: http://www.gamersden.com/hd1test/Camera_GB.pdf

Why shouldn`t it be used with DOF adapters specially when downsampled to SD in post?
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Welcome Toenis. You might try going through the threads in Alternative imaging, there are a few for HD models to get ideas, plus the latest thread on alternative screens etc for low light loss.

As I said in the thread, you could consider a straight tube with high quality condenser triplet (one designed to resolve red, green, and blue spectrum's, as some are calibrated to do IR or UV instead) and you should get much better low light performance.

I wish you success.

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Any news on an adapter for the HD1, HD1a or HD2? I'd be real interested to see what come up.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Trustee

f3.5 now, and much worse once you add a 35mm adapter in terms of light loss.

I think it's low light capabilities make it prohibative.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

As far as I know an focusing screen is not needed to get the 35mm DOF, that an condenser lens can reproduce the DOF, at much brighter levels. Focus screens act like an ND filter combined with some washout (in more primitive screens) so you are goign to loose that effect. Now for an way that can squeeze F1.8 SLR lens down through they f3.5 aperture?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #6
New Boot

hmmm

Wayne,
that's sort of true but technically very difficult. All of the sub $10,000 DOF adapters use some kind of focusing screen (Ground-glass, wax-screen, holofilter) to display the aerial image to be rephotographed. Condenser lenses are often used in these set ups to get more even illlumination edge-to-edge.

There is currently another thread going about building a purely optical solution, and just yesterday there was a long heated discussion on the cinematography.net site between some very heavy hitters about it's feasability/success.

There are two designs that I know of in the $20 G range. Angenieux & Zeiss lenses collaborated to release something called the CLA 35HD that allows you to mount many Cine lenses onto a 2/3" camera with only about a 1/2 stop light loss. (But it doesn't work with all of them--depending perhaps on the size of the exit pupil?) But it is by no means a simple condenser lens, utilizing maybe 11 elements. And Zacuto (or someone else--Zacuto is just a rental house) has recently built a DOF system using a different relay lens for each prime lens (with I'm guessing also very little light loss).

And everyone's speculating over JVC's announced cine lens adapter, and whether it's just a lens mount adapter or a true DOF adapter. But either way you'll need a 1/3" removable lens mount, which I'm guessing the Sanyo doesn't have.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. $800 for HD is awesome, and I didn't check the lux rating on the chip--maybe it's superfast, in which case the f3.5 doesn't matter. But otherwise to use a DOF adapter you'll generally have to throw a fair bit of light at your scenes, or only shoot it in daylight.
Jack Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Trustee

I guess you guys haven't seen the HD1 cine-version I designed and posted quite some time ago?
Attached Images

Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #8
New Boot

!

Dennis, that's hilarious! Let me know when you're taking orders.
Jack Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1+Redrock M2 DOF adapter

hi all,

i tested the HD1+M2+Takumar 50mm F1.4 lens ...not bad in good lighting situations...
this sample videos little noisy (indoor) but like a film grain :)

no cc or any post production...
the SD conversion very good !
Attached Files
File Type: mov hd1+m2test01.mov (3.65 MB, 386 views)
File Type: mov hd1+m2test02.mov (4.47 MB, 326 views)
Pond5 – the world’s first web-based stock footage marketplace –
Robert Batta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Sanyo HD1+Redrock M2 DOF adapter

the rig :)
Attached Thumbnails
What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?-hd1-m2_01.jpg   What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?-hd1-m2_02.jpg  

What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?-hd1-m2_03.jpg  
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Regular Crew

HD1 cine-version

HD1 with matte box :)
Attached Thumbnails
What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?-cinehd1_01.jpg   What about Sanyo HD1 and 35mm DOF adapters?-cinehd1_02.jpg  

Old January 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Major Player

Wow!

But I thought it didn't have filter threads though? How are you guys doing that?
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
Wow!

But I thought it didn't have filter threads though? How are you guys doing that?
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VCP-AL49.../dp/B000FSAS1S
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Well how about that? =)

Can't wait to check out that HD2 when it comes out.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dennis, that picture still makes me laugh ;)

Jack, maybe it depends on how much performance you want. I suspect you can get adequate results at much less resolution (and an triplet lens). Movie cameras mare very demanding. This is 720p 4:2:0, it would be interesting to see.

Never trust the opinion of people that "use" equipment, they might be right, as long as somebody else showed them, trust more the ones that are good at designing the equipment you are talking about. These people are of an much different mindset, and prone to be more accurate about what they know. This has been a problem around here in the early days, a lot of people didn't have the mindset of an engineer or an technical designer. It's exhausting, time consuming and hard.

Wait to see what happens, what they can achieve. Prices in the Cinema market should not be taken as an indication of possible price. Cinema markets are very small, so they are making a lot of premium money on small quantities, where as the DV market is market probably at least as big for each producer, and prone to lower pricing. Remember that the adaptors used to be massively expensive, and now we can do our own for a fraction of the price. So, it will be interesting to see what they can achieve.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods