DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Guskers 35 - 2nd Gen. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/61877-guskers-35-2nd-gen.html)

Dennis Wood March 1st, 2006 08:21 PM

Guskers 35 - 2nd Gen.

Here's a few clips/pics of my latest creation. Evidently it's not a spinner at 2.75" by 3.75". Footage is zoomed 10% but otherwise untouched from the GS400. It was shot in 16:9, 30F. (pro-cinema mode).

No ads, slower
More Ads, faster

Pic of the prototype

Power is not internalized yet, but I have the materials incoming to facilitate this.

Jim Lafferty March 1st, 2006 11:41 PM

Internalized power? How will you (re)charge it? This is exciting -- the DIY adapter business is getting in to full swing...

Toenis Liivamaegi March 2nd, 2006 06:02 AM

Wouldn`t internalized power be kind of a downside of the design?
I mean how could you change/charge batteries in an instant when you need to? And there must be a way to know if batteries are running low or else you`ll be filming with static adapter from time to time...

Dennis Wood March 2nd, 2006 07:14 AM

Well, doing the basic mAh calculations, the unit should have a 40 hour runtime on a full charge with it's two NiMh cells. That's a lot of filming ...

Size, weight and convenience seem to be common desires with these adapters. My thinking therefore is that simple, light, and self contained are desireable attributes. I've got a few neat ideas for charging other than a standard external charger. My spinner had the batteries internal too, and like everything else battery powered, part of the pre-shoot procedure is to make sure they're charged!

Dan got it right with the MPIC IMO.

An LED will serve as a visual charge indicator.

Francois Poitras March 2nd, 2006 07:40 AM

I totally agree with Dennis on internal batteries; I’m actually going in the same direction. My adapter looks a lot like Dennis’.

Different batteries can be used depending on the internal design. In my own design (ABS tubes), I can use use two rechargeable 2/3AA or 2/3A batteries inside. My idea is to install a small connector inside the housing, and work with two rechargeable battery packs equipped with a matching connector. The battery pack is at one end of the adapter, easily replaceable.

I’m actually at the stage of modifying the wiring inside the adapter to accomodate the battery packs.

Yasser Kassana March 3rd, 2006 05:12 AM

That's some seriously clean footage, not soft, sharp. I like it, and to see those images coming out of a gs400, great. Any ideas if you want to sell?

Andrew Todd March 3rd, 2006 06:47 AM

files expired.. any updated link?? looking forward to seeing this footage

Forrest Schultz March 3rd, 2006 09:44 AM

andrew click on the slow, no ads one. it wont say expired

Bennis Hahn March 3rd, 2006 11:43 AM

That looks great! Can we get some more info on how you made it?

Dang, that really does look awsome man!

Dennis Wood March 3rd, 2006 12:18 PM

Thanks for the tip Forrest. I'll post up some fresh links tonight. Yasser and Bennis, glad you liked the footage. I'll likely do some more shots this weekend once I get the new rail system attached. There's a thread over at dvxuser describing a bit more about the adapter. Basically I'm in the final stages of getting the CNC work done for a production version. My current angst is finding a domestic supplier of large diameter carbon fibre tubing for the chassis. I can't do any production work with the CNC folks until I have the actual tubing in my hands. I also have a flip module coming. Again, some CNC work required there.

The GS400 has it's limitations...but certainly the pro-cinema (frame mode, "true" 16:9, and gamma tweaks) gives a pretty good SD picture...that I don't have to deinterlace. The external manual controls and MF ring are super handy for adapter work.

Dennis Wood March 4th, 2006 11:42 PM

Internal power is now sorted out. Here's a pic.

I've also reposted the original sample footage as there were issues:

Link 1
Link 2

David Delaney March 5th, 2006 09:44 AM

I love the look of it. Remind me of Dan's MPIC, with a longer barrel which is eliminating the macro lens, yes no?

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 10:04 AM

Ha, I was waiting for that reference. From my point of view, the minimum length for the adapter is 43.5mm + 50mm, to allow both flange to GG spacing, and minimum focus distance for most cams...so 95 to 100mm. I could make it shorter, but then every user would need a macro.

The reality of packaging everything internal is that the parts must be out of the optical path, so their placement is pretty much dictated. Honestly I like the MPIC aesthetic better...but for my design...it's definitely function over form.

David Delaney March 5th, 2006 11:09 AM

I hope you didn't think I was putting your device down, because I think it is looks great. The comparison is a good thing. Dan has a great device. Also, you footage is looking really nice- what is the price point going to be? Are you beta testing?

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 12:22 PM

Not at all David. When it comes down to minimal size, all of these things are going to be small cylinders with a switch, LED, and charge port.

I'd say beta testing is nearly over. I'm completely happy with the design, movement etc. CAD design for the final product is done. Really it's just waiting for parts now.

The final unit with a carbon fibre chassis, machined parts, and CNC GG plate will be somewhere in the $450 to $600 US range.