Call for C-mount lens info - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #16
Major Player

1-inch CCD C-mount camera lenses

I was making a list of low light superfast lenses..Planning to use a 1-inch CCD GigE camera for making a film..
So far I have the
Schneider Xenon 25 mm f/0.95 C-Mount Lens for 1-Inch CCD
and
Angenieux 25 mm f/0.95 C-Mount Lens for 1-Inch CCD
Fujinon 16mm to 160mm f1.8 lens. "TV-Z" (Is this for 1-inch sensor cameras)

Are there any other lenses from 1-inch sensor tube cameras I could use ?
Would be great if I could troll ebay and pick some super lenses..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
"""""""""""The C-mount screw thread can come in different diameters: 1", 2/3", 1/2". The accepted standard is the 1" format."""""""""""""

There probably needs to be clarified, that the common C-Mount is the 1" (25mm??) as I understand it. C-Mount lenses listed at Fujinon for the different applications including some newer sharper lenses are described in charts being 1/3", 1/2", 2/3", 1". This refers to the area of image thrown by the lens at the film plane.

""""""""""""Also be aware there is CS-mount; this uses the same thread as C-mount, but has a different flange distance (the lens shoulder to sensor/film plane distance): C-mount = 17.526mm; CS-mount = 12.526mm. You can easily get a CS-to-C mount adapter. """"""""""""""

As I understand things, you can use a C-Mount lens on a CS mount camera by adding a spacer which is about 5mm thick. You cannot succesfully fit a CS mount lens on a C-Mount camera unless you want to use it in a permanent close-up (macro) application such as a home-made video assist.

"""""""""""""""""""""There are some great C-mount lenses out there to buy second hand: Zeiss, Cooke, Kinoptik, Schneider, Angenieux, Bausch and Lomb, etc. """""""""""""""""""""""

Some of the older Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for non-reflex Bolex will work on small-chip 1/3" or smaller cameras but for 1/2" or 2/3" such as JVC KY-F50 and KY-F32, the image area is sometimes a bit tight and there can be a vignette in the corners. I would not be inclined to separate these from any vintage camera they might be installed to as added usage will subject them to risk of damage or loss.

On ebay, two older C-mount lenses for older tube video cameras turn up from time-to-time. These are from the old Sony cams, the Tamron 12.5mm - 75mm zoom lens, aperure f1.8. - closed. I used this lens for stringer news work on a non-reflex Bolex and later, RX5 Bolex. There is a Canon 17mm - 85mm?? lens which was fitted to the first generation of Panasonic colour VHS portapack style systems. These were consumer grade lenses.

There is a scarcer lens which turns up from time-to-time, a Fujinon 16mm to 160mm f1.8 lens. "TV-Z". It is larger and heavy but is a good light collector. It is a bit heavy as a C-Mount lens, possibly damaging to a small security or scientific cameras. As there is no tripod support built into this lens, one has to be innovated around an adequate shoulder in the lens body. The C-Mount on my specimen of this lens appears to be an adaptor option, retained by a threaded ring.

The lubricants are likely to have dried off and the lens movements baulky and stiff ion these lenses.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
I was making a list of low light superfast lenses..Planning to use a 1-inch CCD GigE camera for making a film..
So far I have the
Schneider Xenon 25 mm f/0.95 C-Mount Lens for 1-Inch CCD
and
Angenieux 25 mm f/0.95 C-Mount Lens for 1-Inch CCD
Fujinon 16mm to 160mm f1.8 lens. "TV-Z" (Is this for 1-inch sensor cameras)

Are there any other lenses from 1-inch sensor tube cameras I could use ?
Would be great if I could troll ebay and pick some super lenses..
Fujinons range do have specific lenses for the 1" sensors (f1.4 too) but check carefully as there's only one letter between them and the 2/3rds image circle versions.

the 25mm will end up as 60mm focal length on this sensor, and i doubt the f0.95 is very sharp. Also i think you'll find that f0.95 will be damn near impossible to nail focus in the field! f1.4 is good enough for a nice shallow DOF. I assume you're using the KAI2093 sensor? Which head?

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The Fujinon 16mm - 160mm f1.8 TV-Z is as far as I know, only a 2/3" lens. I know it works on the Bolex for 16mm film and on the JVC KY-F50 camera head which is 2/3' optically relayed to 1/3" sensors. The resolution of this lens may not come up to your requirements.

It is older generation and softer than a prime lens, but sharper and better contrast than the ex-home video zooms I mentioned in the earlier post above.

If you have a full 1" sensor to play with, it might be worthwhile looking at a C-mount >> Nikon adaptor and using some Nikon glass for your longer lenses. Their 35mm f2 is supposed to be as sharp as the older f1.4 at f2. Sigma for NIkon 20mm f1.8 is a bit soft wide-open.

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 27th, 2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Major Player

I've used a canon c mount adaptor with my 10-22mm which can produce good results on a 1" (obviously with the EF lenses they are open full as the adaptor cannot control the iris). However the 10-22 is a pretty slow lens and nigh impossible to manual focus (focus range is too short). Aside from that it's very difficult to find a wide and fast SLR lens. The best you're going to get is 14mm f2.8 or thereabouts. I think decent machine vision lenses are the best bet for 1" (all 16mm and S16 lenses have image circles that are too small -- i've had cookes and the 10mm f1.6 switar on there). I've not been able to test the schneiders though, would love to get my hands on one. And that computar zoom looks interesting (on the sumix thread)

a 35mm would be an 85mm on this sensor, which is too long for most uses. The 20mm more usable though.

cheers
paul
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Major Player

c10x16a-snds21 Fujinon

I am going to use a Prosilica GE-1900C camera. I searched for 1-inch lenses.. This lens c10x16a-snds21 shows as a 1-inch zoom lens on Fujinons website..

http://www.fujinon.co.jp/jp/products...16a-snds21.pdf

Would this work ?

Also, if use a c-mount nikon adapter - how does the light performance go ? If I use a 35mm lens - not all the light that goes through the lens will reach my sensor..Thats why I am not too sure about adapters..Am I wrong in thinking this way ?
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Major Player

the adaptor won't loose any light, it's just to phsyically get the lens on there at the right distance from the sensor. the image circle of the nikons will cover a lot more than that sensor though. You will experience a crop factor, each lens will have a field of view 2.5 times the stated focal length, so a 16mm fujinon will be more like a 42mm lens on a 35mm camera.

No light loss though.

The prosilica is a nice head, i've been testing one for a few weeks, i'd be interested in hearing how you get on with it.

I don't think that's the fujinon im thinking of, that seems to be a zoom, im talking about their range of primes.

cheers
paul
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #22
Major Player

Lenses

Can I check the exact details of the lenses you are using ? Like the model - that I can search for, and pricing ?

I am using it for a feature so I need a range of primes..

Help really appreciated..

Thanks!
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods