Letus35XL - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Oh god Quyen, you are a genius!!! :D
PLEASE make sure you film something to show it off, I can't wait!! I am biting my tongue till it bleeds over here =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I know some of you want to see the pictures of the Letus35XL to see if how big it is, how will it look on the Camera, so I uploaded the pictures of my prototype here. The final unit will look very close to what you see here, thanks.
http://letus35.com/35XL.JPG
http://letus35.com/35XL1.JPG

Quyen
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
If the flip version was $600 and the XL version will be $800, the relay is $200. For $200 a pop, XL and HD100 primes would sell like hot cakes. You can barely buy some Nikons for this price and a lens for 35mm is much, much easier to make than a lens for 1/3”, specially if you are talking 1/3” HD in the case of the HD100. A lens for the HD100 would have to resolve over 120 lp/mm. That's a though spec to meet. A relay is basically a prime lens designed to focus on a flat plan.
Not really a simple thing.
I have faith in you Quyen. :)
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
I know some of you want to see the pictures of the Letus35XL to see if how big it is, how will it look on the Camera, so I uploaded the pictures of my prototype here. The final unit will look very close to what you see here, thanks.
http://letus35.com/35XL.JPG
http://letus35.com/35XL1.JPG

Quyen
Excellent job, looks awesome. The thing that bothered me about a lot of these prosumer D.O.F. adapters is the fact that they added glass on top of glass. Not so with this Xl X2/H1 option.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #49
Trustee

I would think that since the distance between the ground glass and the CCDs is set and does not change, the lens would be a lot easier to make, i.e. no complex moving parts. All you need really is an achromatic triplet, right?
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
I would think that since the distance between the ground glass and the CCDs is set and does not change, the lens would be a lot easier to make, i.e. no complex moving parts. All you need really is an achromatic triplet, right?
My thoughts exactly. I would think once you have the proper distances figured out a relay lens is a fairly simple design. Whenever Quyen is ready he has my money.
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #51
Trustee

Glass quality, coatings, resolution and sharpness doesn't really matter then?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
How can you say one way or the other. No one has one in their posession to say. Did you read the 24 article? It appears that the Redrock ground glass is better than the PS in the eyes of those distinguished shooters. P+S were in a niche market Mike which only they occupied for quite awhile, but now there are other players on the field...scoring big no less. Hell maybe it is as easy as putting it together, once you get some experience under your belt. Quyen disappears for months at a time working on his projects, and I don't even want to guess what he spends in R&D. I guess my point is that you've been so derogatory of late that appears the old "Michael" has returned, who criticizes everything other people do. Just chill out man if you don't want to play with Quyens toys fine, but note you are always...and I mean always the voice of unreason, and if you think i'm being extreme ask yourself where your post in the brevis thread went.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Yes it does, but you have no idea how well Quyens relay lens will work. A relay lens for all intents and purposes is essentially less complex than an XL series lens. It's less complex than a fixed length SLR lens.

Are you just assuming Quyen is haphazardly designing cr@p, with cr@p materials? That's a bit insulting. I'm willing to bet he isn't and I'll be first in line to get a LetusXL.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong)that Quyen doesn't make much profit from his Letus line of adapters. I think he does because he has a passion for it. I think alot of the cost of the adapters goes into the materials.

The guy works hard (you think these adapters are manufactured in a factory of some sort?) and is constantly improving upon his designs. For you to come in here and denounce it as cr@p before you've even used the adapter yourself, and before you've seen any footage, is downright rude and a little petty.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #54
Major Player

Please stop arguing until I post some footage. I will try to get my computer working so I can get some frame grabs or footage. I also wait to use my final product to get footage, so you will have an idea how your adapter will perform when you place an order. Please be patience, thanks.

Quyen
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Thats wonderful news Quyen =)

I am certain I speak for all of us when I say you have our profound and deepest respect, and we are all looking forward to see the outcome of your hard work =)

Cheers!

Andreas Rylander
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #56
Major Player

I've just purchased the 35xl, yesterday, that you see on Quyen's homepage at adapterplace.com.

I haven't had time to play with it yet but what I've seen in the dof was pretty good.

The adapter mount for my Nikon lense was a little lose but a quick fix with some electricians tape gave it a nice snug fit.

The vibration for the gg seems undetectable during recording, although the vibration is pretty strong for two AA batteries. You can see the difference in picture quality when the unit is on.

The screw on thread to the camera is nice. Fit's perfectly. You can pull the unit out and realign the unit for the camera. This only needs to be done once. After that, screwing the unit in and out of your camera is not a worry.

The look of my FX-1 with my RMC Tokina 35-105mm lense makes it look more like some experimental military rifle. The weight of my letus 35 and lense weighs more than my FX-1.

I've tried attaching my camera with the adapter and lense onto my Velbon tripod and it held nicely. I was suprised and pleased at how well the Letus35xl held up. I was afraid I would need some sort of rod system to use this system. If I had a heavier lense, I probably might need a rod system but it seems perfect up to the mid-prof/consumer lenses.

The construction was a little lose when I brought it home last night, from Quyen but by screwing in the screws a little bit more tightly, it's now perfect. Keep in mind that I purchased his beta unit.

Quyen, thank you for responding back so promptly to my questions and I also want to thank Andrew who has always defended the Letus. Between the two of you, it was an easy sell to me. I felt I could trust the product and the man behind the system. And a...Quyen probably has another supporter/defender of the Letus system.

I can't wait to try the system out this weekend!
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #57
Major Player

you must have the letus35 flip i'm guessing?? the letus35xl is only for the canon xl series cams... i got real envious for about 20 seconds though thinking that you already got it :) or maybe you do and i misread

post some footage when you get a chance

and take note of what he said quyen.. and send me a free letus for my cheerleading efforts!!! just joking.

-andrew
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #58
Major Player

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, you're right. It's the flip. I don't have a XL. :)

I'm excited about this. I'm about to head on out to the tv station to show the camera man and get his opinion on it.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #59
Tourist

hi there,

i bought the letus35 flip.
does anybody know, if it´s possible to "update" it to the xl version?
can i mount only the relay lens, to let the 20x xl lens away?

if i had know that the xl version will come, i would have been waiting for it!
i bought my letus a month ago.
would it be possible to do the update myself?

anybody knows? quyen?

thanks,
alex.jenny
Alex Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #60
Major Player

any news yet?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods