DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   follow focus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/62895-follow-focus.html)

Andrew Todd March 15th, 2006 07:39 AM

follow focus

is anyone making any units for sale? Dan's only offering the ones he has to his mpic customers. I know some people were trying some DIY. I'd really like to buy one for a good price.

andrew

David Delaney March 15th, 2006 08:05 AM

Working on one. Doing the research into the parts, trying to get the price down. Found another place yesterday to make the gearbox yesterday, going to see how it turns out. I will let you know.

Andrew Todd March 15th, 2006 08:18 AM

awesome.. looking forward to it..

Eniola Akintoye March 16th, 2006 04:49 PM

Would definitely be interested ... hey, keep the price down please :)

David Delaney March 16th, 2006 05:23 PM

Yeah, during the prototype stage and pre-production - the price is sky high because I am sourcing out material, building and rebuilding. Hopefully when all is said and done, it will be easy because everything will have been sourced and planned out. I am trying to keep this under $100 if I can, but I can't say for sure. Right now it has cost me about $150.00 for tests, tools, materials etc and that doesn't include my time!

Brian J. Harris March 16th, 2006 08:03 PM

Indifocus

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
is anyone making any units for sale? Dan's only offering the ones he has to his mpic customers. I know some people were trying some DIY. I'd really like to buy one for a good price.

andrew

Hello Andrew,

Have you seen the one on this website?
www.indifocus.com

Its design is a bit different, but the price is lower than some of the "name" ones.

Matthew Nayman March 16th, 2006 09:54 PM

Redrock is wokring on an SLR follow focus, fairly cheap. Check it out.

www.redrockmicro.com

Andrew Todd March 17th, 2006 08:25 AM

for under $500 the micro looks really nice. I'll definately have to look at getting one once they're for sale.

Jelle Poupaert March 19th, 2006 03:52 PM

Hi

I made my own follow focus for about 50$.

http://filebahn.com/host/files/630/rod1.jpg
http://filebahn.com/host/files/630/rod4.jpg

The most expensive part was the gear box. I first tried it with plastic bevel gears but they couldn't hold the torque. The one on the picture has metal gears.

The big plastic gear next to the lens might look stupid but that was necessary to keep around a 1:1 ratio. And I'm convinced it works as wel as a 500$ ff.

cheers

Andrew Todd March 19th, 2006 05:44 PM

want to make me one?? im looking for one that i dont have to pay $400-$1000 for. It would be much appreciated.. if you have the time of course

David Delaney March 19th, 2006 07:00 PM

Hey Jelle,

Nice job. I was thinking about buying that gearbox, but it was alot more expensive on my end to get it - the gearbox alone was worth more than $50.00 when I researched prices. I noticed that you used the long rod for the actual turning part, pretty cool. I am making my own gearbox (no easy feat), so I am going to make the size alot smaller.

Oh yeah, can I see some stills of how you got the LCD on the shoe? Is that homemade or a purchased grip for the LCD?

David Delaney March 20th, 2006 06:05 PM

Just finished my second generation prototype gearbox. Darn hard road. About a week, 6 hour days worth of work, and preproduction planning not included. Might end up being better just buying the darn thing, but haven't given up yet. A reliable source for aluminum boxes is had, just need a reliable source for bearings (certain type with housing) and I just might be on my way. If I can get all the parts and get this thing right, I can do it under $100 bucks.

Andrew Todd March 20th, 2006 10:49 PM

sounds like your getting closer.. keep p the good work .. so i can get one cheap!!

Moises Crespo March 20th, 2006 11:33 PM

I'm also needing a FF.We encourage to keep up the good work your doing.

Jelle Poupaert March 21st, 2006 05:58 AM

Quote:

want to make me one
Well the only hard thing to make would be the gearbox but you can just order that for 30 euros (shipping not included), so I don't know what else I should make for you :-) All parts can be ordered and can be very easily assembled. You need a rod support ofcourse. The most difficult part could be the gear which clamps over the lens itself. I found a gear with the right diameter in an old printer, cut out the inner plastic and voila. There no backlash when turning it because it's quite tight and the small teeth of the lens keep it into place.

Quote:

Oh yeah, can I see some stills of how you got the LCD on the shoe? Is that homemade or a purchased grip for the LCD?
I'll post some pics tonight when I'm home.
Good luck with your gearbox!