DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Mini35 Wide Angle Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/63041-mini35-wide-angle-lens.html)

Will Hanlon March 17th, 2006 12:07 AM

Mini35 Wide Angle Lens

Hey guys, I mainly use Nikkor Nikon SLR lenses, and I was wondering what is the widest one they have without distortion (ie fisheye)? I saw a couple on eBay for 18mm... I already have 35mm and 105mm so I'm just looking for one now where everything is in clear focus. I realize I could use my camcorder without a 35 kit, but the kits soften the images and make it look a lot better so does anyone know if there is a lens smaller than 18mm? Should I try a different brand of SLR lenses? That 18mm Nikkor costs around $800, and that's a little high for me.

Bob Hart March 17th, 2006 07:05 AM

There's a 14mm f2.8 Sigma lens which provides straight lines acrossd the entire image. It won't be cheap though.

Will Hanlon March 28th, 2006 05:37 PM

Would I be better off switching to Canon FD lenses? Anybody know the lowest mm on those?

Will Hanlon March 28th, 2006 05:46 PM

Actually, it looks like 14mm is the world's shortest focal length non-fisheye wide angle lens according to this item's description. Thanks for your help, Mr. Hart, and it's actually pretty cheap on eBay ($300 or so compared to $700-$800).

Bill Porter March 28th, 2006 06:54 PM

The word to describe lenses "without distortion" is 'rectilinear'. This may help your search.

Lior Molcho April 1st, 2006 12:11 PM

E-bay
just type Nikon Lens and the mm
i found a 16mm around 400$

btw, I have a wonderfull nikon 15mm with a broken iris - ie, the iris can be set on any seting but u cannot change it without removing the lens.( i cannot get it fixed because its a discontinued pro lens)

its for sale if any one is interested :)

John Sandel April 9th, 2006 10:42 PM

I Got Yer World's Widest 35mm Rectilinear Lens Riiiiight Here

Here's a pretty good overview.

It is, unfortunately, an expensive piece of glass and will hammer you with flare and edge falloff. And adapting it'll require futzing with adapters. But it's painstakingly rectilinear and the widest factory 35mm lens money can buy.

For more, see here.

Frank Hool April 11th, 2006 02:48 AM

Is there anybody - manufacturers, DIY guys - who provides fisheye footage?

Tony Davies-Patrick April 12th, 2006 08:18 AM

Nikon Ultra-wide lenses for a full-frame picture (full-frame coverage without barrel distortion) - there are the MF Nikkor 13mm f/5.6; the Nikkor 15mm f/3.5 the Nikkor 18mm f3.5; and the Nikkor 20mm f/3.5.

The Nikkor fish-eye partial frame (circular image) lenses are the Nikkor 6mm f/2.8; and the Nikkor 8mm f2.8.

The Nikkor fisheye 16mm F2.8 provides a full frame image, but with curved distortion at the edges of the frame.