LETUS 35 flip / FX1 to film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

LETUS 35 flip / FX1 to film

I have shot few tests using the LETUS 35 flip with the FX1. I used a Nikkor 28 - 105 f 3.5 lens. I also and used a Pentax K mount 200 mm lens, a Takumar screw mount 135 mm f3.5 lens and a Russian 300 mm f 4.5 screw mount lens with a mount I turned out.

All the shots came out pretty good and I was shooting near dusk.

Since I have to send the FX1 away for a shoot, I decided to transfer some of the materials to 35 mm. I will get a print tommorow or day after.

I will report the out come once I received the print and send several hundred frames to Quyen so he can view the frames using a slide projector.

The footage was cropped for Cinemascope aspect ratio and stretched to get the required cinemascope print.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM   #2
Major Player

cant wait to see that
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Maheel, that sounds VERY exciting!!! I have been waiting to see material like that for a long time :D
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Please let us know how they look! I'm selling my HD10u and my GL2 to get an FX1 and I'd love to know how well it will work with my Letus.
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I will be able to see the print on Monday. I will report as soon as I see it.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Major Player

sorry for stupid question, but i didn't get it for sure. Does letus35flip
flip over both axis or only over horizontal? In other words does letus rotate image 180degree or flip over one axis?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Major Player

It rotates the image 180 degrees back again to give the correct orientation. No further post flipping needed.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I had the chance to see the film print yesterday.

The projection was as expected. Mostly. The sharpness held up even the footage was cropped and stretched for cinemascope aspect ratio. The slight vigneting was not present in the 2.4:1 AR.

But some grainyness was apparent that made the shots bit dirty. The test was done at very law light levels.But I did not push the gain. The sharpness setting was at 12. Other than this the footage was definetly not SOFT on the 12ft projection at the lab.

I am going to do another test with the adaptor soon. In the meanwhile I would like to have good footage shot with the SGPro/FX1 combination for a film transfer test.

Wayne,
If you could send me about a minute of footage shot with a FX1/Z1 I will transfer it to 35mm free of charge.I cand send you a print or frames from the footage so that you could view them with a slide projector. Contact me If you like the idea.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Maheel.

I have some footage shot on the FX1 (PAL) from a home made device, - Agus Cass' original design modified plus some add-ons. Would you want to compare a tape from that?
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Maheel.

Furthur to my post above, could you describe the process your video-to-film company uses. Do they publish a rate card?

Here in Western Australia, we have to send all our film to the east for processing or our electronic intermediates likewise. The cost of internal freight can be high.

Since my post above, I have learned I will be involved in a low budget martial arts project being made here. It mostly will be shot direct-to-camera on the new JVC HD camera but there may be some relay footage intercut with this.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. For some unknown reason I couldn't log in to the forum for the past few days.

If you send me few clips from your shoot I will send you some still frames to evaulate. (There is no point in sending a film transfer if you have no way to screen it).

Send me an email.
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #12
Major Player

fx1 l35e

Heya, If you think it shows lower noise, you are welcome to do any tests you like on my fx1/letus35enhanced footage. This is a raw (no CC, just trimmed in quicktime player) clip:

http://www.5501.com/adapter/cardriveup.mov

cheers!

-Andrew
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Andrew,

I downloaded the file but could not play it. Even in the After Effects time line it is displayed as a white screen. Although I have seen the stills at the other thread. They were really nice.

Tell me how I can get some uncompressed tga s or the original m2t file.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods