DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Looking for Whiteboard for FF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/63738-looking-whiteboard-ff.html)

David Delaney March 26th, 2006 05:52 PM

Looking for Whiteboard for FF

Does someone have a good source for the solid white (dry erase) plastic that they use on FF? Mine is just about done and I want to add some frills in the future. I have purchased whiteboards from the $ store, but they are flimsy paper, not touch plastic. Any thoughts on where?

Keith Kline March 26th, 2006 06:15 PM

The only place I can think of off the top of my head is Home Depot. They sell 4' by 8' sheets for like 10 bucks. I know that's about 5000% more than you'd need. Maybe just got to a closeout place like Big Lots or some place like that.

David Delaney March 26th, 2006 06:25 PM

Ok thanks - I will check tomorrow when they are open. Do they call it a certain name? Now finding a way to cut the stuff!

Keith Kline March 26th, 2006 06:36 PM

You could maybe get them to cut it down into 4-6 sections to make it easier to handle depending on what you're using to transport it. I know at my local Home Depot it's kept near the lumber. There is an isle with tile board (4x8 panels with a tile pattern on them) and molding right near the lumber. It's right under the tile board here. Granted all the HD i've been it have been different so where it is at yours could be totally different.

David Delaney March 29th, 2006 08:37 PM

I saw the whiteboard they have - it is ok, but too bad it is still backed with particle board and not plastic. Going to have to keep up the search for the plastic whiteboard stuff!

Bill Porter March 31st, 2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney
Does someone have a good source for the solid white (dry erase) plastic that they use on FF?

What the heck is FF??

Keith Kline March 31st, 2006 12:56 PM

Follow Focus

Andrew Todd March 31st, 2006 12:56 PM

follow focus.. gearbox geared to your lenses to give you an easier focus pull.

David Delaney April 2nd, 2006 09:04 PM

Does anyone know another name for the whiteboard/dry erase boards? I am trying to find a plastic one rather than the wood ones - and having a hard time getting it found. Any ideas? Ihave seen some follow-focus units with the plastic thick dry erase...suggestion would be helpful.

Andrew Todd April 3rd, 2006 01:22 PM

you might be able to find some dry erase boards form the dollar store.. or dollorama

David Delaney April 3rd, 2006 02:07 PM

Yeah, I tried the dollar stores, just cheap paper with cardboard backing, nothing to work with though...

Andrew Todd April 3rd, 2006 02:20 PM

maybe talk to someone who works in a college,, or any other kind of school. they might be able to direct you to a supplier.. (its so hard to find these simple parts when trying to use them for a unique application)

John L Scott April 3rd, 2006 06:49 PM

I went to Jo Anns Fabrics and got a "Elmers Foam Board" 20x30" so there is plenty of board to make it small as you like. Bout broke my pocket book at $2.61 but I will work some overtime to make up for it ;) The boards come in many colors and I think if you buy the black board you can use either side cause one side is white...
I found a little embrodering hoop to fit the coffee filters and it's big enough to fit my wide angle lens so now I got the best of both worlds...
Total cost:$3.50

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...Coffee+Filters

David Delaney April 4th, 2006 08:10 PM

Elmer's board you say? Is it plastic? I haven't heard of that before, I will google it and see what comes up. SOmetimes it is getting 'the name' and then it all seems to fall into place.

Update on the FF :
Snag, my new 1.4 is soooooo tight on the focusing barrel that I am having some problems with the FF. The FF works great on my older 50 1.8 and my 24mm because it has been worked in. So trying some new stuff to make it stronger.

On a positive note, I have come up with a great gear solution to works with all lenses. I noticed that my new 1.4 is smaller in the focus barrel then my older 1.8 - and all my other lenses seems to have a variance in diameter, so I am working on a CHEAP way of addressing the problem.

Keith Kline April 4th, 2006 08:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Elmer's Board he is talking about is just Elmer's name for foam core board.

David are you planning on selling your FF's or putting together a guide or anything?