Brevis35 Production Tests on XL1, XL2, DVX, HVX, VX2100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #31
Major Player

Well, I've got the HVX, and a powerbook with FCP 3.0.1 which as far as I can tell, doesn't support the hvx. We had streaming working fine on the Mac desktop, so I'll have to go back to the studio and try some streams on that machine. Talk about a day of crash courses on Mac, FCP, and the HVX. My head hurts.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #32
Major Player

What a beautiful cam! The focus assist (only in HD ) and controls on the camera are a joy to use. I figured out enough to get manual control, and mess with shooting modes, but otherwise, I'd assume the cam is at default settings.

Here is some quick footage from the HVX using plain old SD, 30P. I ended up using a weak macro to get proper framing in 16:9 mode. Our first test was definitely done in 4:3, and in that mode, no macro is required.

http://www.savefile.com/files/8265889

Here are some cropped/zoomed shots that pretty much illustrate why you need to eliminate the video camera, and 35mm lens from the equation when troubleshooting adapter issues. My staple lens (50mm F1.4) has a lot of barrel distortion :-(
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Yeah I think it has to be the latest FCP.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #34
Major Player

HVX clip

Ok, after swearing in about 5 languages, here is some 720P streamed from the HVX with the Brevis and a 50mm attached. Compressor kept crashing on the MAC, so after figuring out how to actually shut down a misbehaving app on a MAC (the owner has students do his editing...so no help there), and trying a bunch of exports I ended up with a less than ideal 3.4 mbit/sec H264 quicktime encode that didn't crash FCP. IDVD wouldn't work so I had I stumble through just burning a DVD. As a PC user, I was rather frustrated..

It's 1280x720, and the bitrate I realize is rather low. I dropped the camera off at a college film shoot set, and mentioned that I had streamed HD from the CAM via firewire. Apparently they thought you needed a P2 card too. Jaws dropped, and there was some quiet swearing there too.

Keep in mind that I was in a basement studio, tethered by firewire.

http://www.savefile.com/files/8390647

I'll revisit this with a laptop using FCP5 after I get the current run of adapters out.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #35
Major Player

The first Brevis shipment departs...

I'm thinking about renaming the Brevis..."takes a freakin long time to put together35". Needless to say, the first 10 depart tomorrow morning...Happy Easter folks.

http://www.cinevate.com/images/units.jpg
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #36
Major Player

those cases look really professional dennis.. whered you find those??
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #37
Major Player

They're Pelicans. I use them for all my own stuff too. Not cheap, but I know nothing will be damaged in shipping, and the adapters will have a good home once they get there.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #38
Regular Crew

still no test footage with an xl2? I cant find anything and I like this adapter
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #39
Major Player

Giuseppe, we haven't shot with the XL2 for over a year :-) I may have some footage kicking around still from it, but the adapter has changed so much since, it wouldn't be representative to post again. We just introduced a new achromat and imaging element (CF1L) which are designed specifically for larger cams like the HVX, HD100, XL series etc.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods