Letus35XL...wow! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Letus35XL...wow!

Just got my Letus35XL today. Haven't had much time to play with it, but All i can say so far is WOW! Quyen's design is leaps and bounds beyond his original Letus35. This thing is an amazing design. Rock solid. You wont need rails for this adapter with my 100mm lens on the front and it didn't weigh more than any other Canon lens(I will be using rails when I get a follow focus). I can't tell you much right now until I can get some better shooting arrangements. What I can tell you is that it works with the XL2, for all of those curious about 16X9. I was able to get a decent image in my living room with available light and it's pretty dark in here. Also I've heard reports of the nikon lenses fitting loosely, this is not exactly accurate. If I twist the lens on from right to left it seems to fit a tad loose, if I twist on the lens from left to right it fits fine. I'm no lens expert, so I'm not sure why this is. I detected very minimal grain, but honestly it may have just been camera noise. This unit is also amazingly silent. The only way I could tell that it was on was by the slight vibrations.

With just 5-10 minutes to test this adapter I am thoroughly impressed. I really think Quyen will have his hands full making these units... and when he makes one for the JVC...oh boy look out. Quyen, you may have to hire on some help.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Tony for your kind words. I hope it worths what people paying for and I have been holding my breath waiting for feedbacks. HD100 version is being developed on the last stage. I am not quite happy with the result yet and it's much harder to make than the XL version. I will release it until I am confident with it. Below is a frame grab of the prototype HD100. The finished version will deliver much better quality, thanks.

Quyen

http://www.letus35.com/HD100_1.JPG
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what is inside?

Quyen Le:

what arrangement is on the inside of your newest flip unit??

thanks
s
Sarena Valilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Major Player

You mean Letus35XL or Letus35 Flip Enhanced?
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Letus35XL

the Letus35XL.... but comments on both and what and why you wanted to change from one to the other would be appreciated.... (if you dont mind)...

thanks
s
Sarena Valilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Letus35XL uses 2 mirrors and 1 prism while Letus35 Flip uses 4 mirrors. The reason I use prism for Letus35XL is it's more compact and looks good. On relay lens, I decide not to tell at this moment since I have to run my business. If you do enough research, you can find out too, thanks.

Quyen
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Major Player

I'd like to see some large photos of these adapters, especially mounted on the cameras. Is that possible yet?
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....5&postcount=79

theres the pics
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Major Player

tony..congrats on the purchase.. cant wait to try mine out. Im considering selling my xl1s and looking for (it'll be hard to find) a used xl2 body only. No more need for the 16 or 20x lens for me.
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
I'd like to see some large photos of these adapters, especially mounted on the cameras. Is that possible yet?
When I get mine, I plan on taking some nice pictures of it for Quyen.

www.itdphoto.com (My Photography) ;)
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Major Player

I received my new enhanced flip for my hc1.... very happy... on my 109" screen the footage looks stunning.... no grain...no falloff.. no noticable loss of resolution using a canon 50mm 1.4 fd...

I did have to take it apart and paint everything flat black, as the defraction was causing loss of contrast and ghost images.... other than that, perfection!

I was already able to shoot, edit, and bill out a project that paid for my entire rig... flip, hc1, rods, matt box, 4 batts.

one thing nice about the flip.... you still get image stabilization!

thanks quyen!.... when can I buy stock in your company? har har
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #12
New Boot

hey andrew todd im the guy from moncton how is your letus treating you

do you know any good recomdation about all camera adapter under 1000$

oh yeah and in a canon xl1,xl1s,xl2,xlh2 you can change lens right???

can you put any photographer lens on it ????

and why cant you feel the same field of depht as with a brevis or p+stech,letus and ect?????????
Marc Gaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #13
Major Player

lol.. do you have msn? its a long discussion that id be glad to have... and my recommendation is definately the letus35.. its the only adapter (other than my DIY) but it has always surpassed my expectations. I am very happy with the images that i have been able to get out of it. There are lots of other good choices.. but its the only one on the market right now that i have the experience with to comment on.

the xl series have interchangable lenses.. you can only use those lenses (14x manual, 16x manual, 16x servo, 20x servo, 3x, the fujinon one etc....) unless you have the ef adapter which allow you to use canon ef lenses. if you use the ef adapter.. and use say a 50mm ef lens. the focal length of the ef lens will be multiplied because of the size of the video chip.. its very small in comparison to 35mm film. so your 50mm lens will now be a telephoto lens. DOF depends on the size of the target area.. these adapters use ground glass, wax etc.. as a 35mm sized target area.

if you want to try them out.. tommorow i will be recieving my letus35xl.. and i have a letus35a adapter as well.. i work 5 days on and 5 days off.. and would always be willing to stop in moncton on my way home for a while if you would like to try them out.
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Did a few more test today outdoors. I have to say that this thing is pretty sweet. This is definitely worth the money I spent. Here are some tips for those getting started with the Letus35XL:

- "Loose Nikon lenses." This is not really the case. It seems to me that each lens has what I would call a "sweet spot" on the mount. What this means is I was able to get each lens to fit snug after I tried mounting it from certain points. Once you've found that point your good to go.

- "Stopping Down." Use the iris on the relay lens as much as you can to stop down. I found that if you go past F8 on the SLR camera lens you will get some distortion. Not that most people would but I find stopping down with the relay lens provides a better picture. For the best results I found that if you stop down the SLR lens no more than f4 you will get some great images.

I've only had the adapter for a couple of days and I continue to be impressed.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I for one think Quyen has been extremely forth coming with his ideas and methods. I seem to recall a time when he was even taking the time to post detailed tutorials and documents on how to make your own adapter.

He has worked very hard to research and develop a product that many people have been needing. At least let him make some money to pay for his hard work and research before he gives away all his research for free.

As far as comparing him to P+S...at least he is charging a really modest price for his product. I bet if the P+S adapter was under $1,000 when it came out, there would have been very few people bothering to reverse engineer it. I will gladly save the $11,000 by NOT buying the P+S.

Besides...go ahead and reverse engineer Quyen's adapter. I wonder how much you would really save by trying to make one yourself. I bet it won't be anywhere near $11,000.

Anyway...just my $0.02. I just think Quyen deserves to earn a little bit from all the work and research he did.
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods