JVC HD100 w/ Letus35flip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC HD100 w/ Letus35flip

Aloha,

I finally had a few minutes to put my Letus35flip on my new JVC HD100 and here are the results:

720p24 footage of some chickens and rack focus between wood posts (187MB).
http://www.scottleemason.com/letus/H...105_720P24.m2v

480p60 footage of my wife shaking a bed sheet (84MB).
http://www.scottleemason.com/letus/H...105_480P60.m2v

480p60/24 footage my wife shaking a bed sheet (84MB).
http://www.scottleemason.com/letus/H...slowmo_24p.m2v

I captured all the footage with LumiereHD 1.6b6. I then demuxed it to m2v files. LumiereHD demuxed the 720p24 footage correctly, but it demuxed the 480p60 footage as 24p footage, so it became slowmo. I wanted to test this anyway so I used MPEGStreamclip to demux the 480p60 correctly and uploaded both.

The files are large, but they have not been recompressed, so you can see them at their best.

The HD100 has the stock lens and it was zoomed to about 20mm and focus was set to about 7m and I left the camera on auto iris. The camera auto irised at f8 to f11 most of the time even on this overcast day, so the light loss didn't seem bad at all. I didn't notice the vinetteing until capture.

The lenses used are Nikon 55mm f1.2, Nikon 85mm f1.4, and Nikon 105mm f1.8, all shot wide open.

This isn't the best footage, but I am in the process of moving from Hawaii to Texas so I don't have time to play right now. If anyone in Texas wants to check out the Letus and JVC let me know.

I am happy with the quality of the Letus35flip on the HD100, but I don't think it is the best set-up. It puts too much weight on the stock lens and makes the camera fairly long. The picture quality is good though and the Letus35HD100 should be great.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

thanks for the writeup...

any of these adapters work without the stocklens?
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

with a 35mm adaptor there will be less need to purchase an expensive wide angle lens for the HD100 right?

because you can just use a SLR 35mm one?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
any of these adapters work without the stocklens?
Quyen has mentioned he plans to create an HD100 version of his Letus35xl that will mount directly to the body of the camera, however he has said on his website that he doesn't have that much time these days and will get to it later.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

If everything going OK, the Letus35HD100 will be ready next week, thanks.

Quyen
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd be interested if it didn't require the stock lens.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Excellent post! The footage looks pretty nice. Amazing DOF and I nice rack from the brush in the background all the way through each pole to the front. I just ordered my Letus flip enhanced from Quyen for my FX1 via emergency express "need it too shoot this weekend because we just got hired for a gig and I won't do without it". I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I have a commercial training video I'm shooting and a twenty minute short and both will use the brand new Letus Flip enhanced when it arrives this week.

Light loss doesn't look to bad. What kind of lense were you shooting with?
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nathan,

I think I already answered your questions in my orginal post. If this isn't what you are looking for, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Cross
The HD100 has the stock lens and it was zoomed to about 20mm and focus was set to about 7m and I left the camera on auto iris. The camera auto irised at f8 to f11 most of the time even on this overcast day, so the light loss didn't seem bad at all. I didn't notice the vinetteing until capture.

The lenses used are Nikon 55mm f1.2, Nikon 85mm f1.4, and Nikon 105mm f1.8, all shot wide open.

Here are is some footage from a couple projects I shot using the Letus35 and the Sony HDR-FX1.

The Comb (Letus35flip and Sony HDR-FX1)
http://www.scottleemason.com/movies/thecomb.mov

Barry (Letus35 and Sony HDR-FX1)
http://www.scottleemason.com/movies/slmGAFFERSreel.mov

On these two projects we used Nikon lenses from 20mm - 105mm. For the nighttime project we used all the lights we had and it was barely enough.

Quyen's adapters are pretty good and I am looking forward to getting a Letus35HD100 when Quyen has them ready.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods