DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   SG35 GG replacement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/65146-sg35-gg-replacement.html)

Josh Hoffman April 15th, 2006 10:42 AM

SG35 GG replacement

Has anyone had to replace their SG35's ground glass?

What did you use?
And, is the groundglass that comes with the M2 red rock DIY instructions any good?

Thanks.

Francois Poitras April 15th, 2006 11:23 AM

The GG that came with my Redrock Micro35 DIY kit was their "M1" GG, apparently the first one they made. It worked OK, but it had about 2 F/stops light loss. I must also say the disc was slightly warped and that its centre hole was slightly off centre.

David Delaney April 15th, 2006 12:09 PM

I think he is referring to Wayne SG35. It is made from custom made from Glass, from what I recall. You would have to ask him.

Francois Poitras April 15th, 2006 12:15 PM

Well, Josh’s last question was rather clear and specific...

I should add that the Redrock GG is made of plastic (I suspect optical acrylic, but I’m not 100% sure).

BTW, Josh, you can also have some discs made to your specs. I did have some optical acrylic discs done from a company called techplast dot com. It was not that expensive.

Quyen Le April 15th, 2006 12:22 PM

SG35 uses plastic GG since the breakage of real glass is a big problem. I think you should contact Wayne for replacement GG, thanks.

Quyen

Wayne Kinney April 15th, 2006 03:38 PM

Josh,
Can I ask why you would want to change the SG's ground glass?

Josh Hoffman April 15th, 2006 05:59 PM

I wouldn't want to if it wasn't broken.

Wayne Kinney April 16th, 2006 03:38 AM

Josh,
OK, so it was just breakage issues you were worrying about? As Quyen says, its no longer real glass so no breakage problems.

Wayne Kinney April 16th, 2006 04:32 AM

Josh,
Do you own an SG35, not bought from myself? Or was it just a question out of curiosity?

David Delaney April 16th, 2006 07:37 AM

Wayne,

I didn't know you switched from Glass to something else. I thought that is why your footage looked so good because you were using glass...

Wayne Kinney April 16th, 2006 09:24 AM

David,
Made the switch from glass some time ago. It was not so much the glass that made the nice images, but rather because the glass was 'treated' The new material has the same properties as the 'treated' glass so same great colours and contrast with low light loss, with a better light loss to diffusion ratio. The spinning disk is only 0.5mm thick

Josh Hoffman April 16th, 2006 10:43 AM

I own one, not bought from you, and the GG was broken in shipping.

Wayne Kinney April 16th, 2006 10:56 AM

OK Josh,
this must be a very old model. I am willing to upgrade your unit for you to the new GG and mechanism. Just let me know.

Josh Hoffman April 18th, 2006 05:40 PM

Okay, I e-mailed you with questions about upgrading.

Wayne Kinney April 19th, 2006 02:44 AM

Josh,
I have not received your email, emailing via this forum does not work sometimes. If you email me directly to waynekinney@hotmail.com