Letus 35 Flip or Redrock M2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Tourist

Letus 35 Flip or Redrock M2

Hey,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place. I need some advice, I'm looking to buy either a Red Rock M2 or the Letus 35 Flip. I've read all the post and it seems there is even split between good and bad on both units.

I'm leaning twards the Letus Flip 35 and would like to hear from anyone that can give me a user perspective.

One concern is that some say the Letus flip is a bit grainy. Also, is there a difference between the Letus Flip and the Letus flip enhanced, or are they the same thing? I’d like to put in my order Sunday night.

Also any advice on a good mattebox for the HVX200. I'd like to buy Redrock's mattebox, but hear it won't be available for a while still

-Ken
Ken Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Letus Flip is not for the HVX. It's a light hungry device as it is, couple that with the resolution of the HVX and man you have a ton of grain in the picture. The motor just is not fast enough to keep the grain from being noticed and you get this oscillation across the image in anything less than ideal lighting conditions.
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've heard many good things about the Redrock M2.
If I'm not mistaken, on the set of '24' they thought it was even better then the official Mini35 (I think because it had less light loss).

ps: you could ask one of the moderators to move your thread to the Alternative Imaging Methods, where I think it's more approperiate.
Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The actual Letus35 flip Enhanced is HD and is for the HVX-200, you need the adapter ring 82mm-72mm
I tried the M2 and the Letus35FE and i choosed the Letus for the following reasons:

- way sharper image
- square gg, no vignetting due to CD shaped gg found in the M2
- no grain if you keep your shutter at 50 or 60
- flipped image (a total luxury)
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza View Post
- square gg, no vignetting due to CD shaped gg found in the M2
the vignetting has more to do with the optics (acromat, lenses,) than the shape of the glass.

kind of like using a projector to put an image on a huge wall versus projecting it on a projector screen, the image is the same dimensions (given everything else like distance to the target is the same) no matter the shape of the wall versus the screen. The brightness across the image, while may be not as nice looking on a wall, will not look vignetted simply because it is on an inferior viewing surface.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
Disjecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bates View Post
Letus Flip is not for the HVX. It's a light hungry device as it is, couple that with the resolution of the HVX and man you have a ton of grain in the picture. The motor just is not fast enough to keep the grain from being noticed and you get this oscillation across the image in anything less than ideal lighting conditions.
Not sure where you are getting this information from Greg. Is this from personal experience? I agree it is light-hungry but the grain is almost imperceptable and regarding the oscillation issue, hasn't happened to me and I've used it extensively.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

I've got a Letus35 Flip Enhanced on the HVX, and it works extremely well. It loses maybe 1.5 stops of light (including the f/1.8 lens I have mounted on it). The HVX has plenty of HD resolution, and the Letus Flip gives up practically none of it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Trustee

I think the Brevis better than both. Less light loss and there should be a flip module very soon. I have messed with them all EXTENSIVELY.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Brevis+flip is going to be probably twice the price though. The killer thing about the Letus35 Flip Enhanced is the price; $700 (including shipping). Other adapters may or may not be better, but nothing compares to the Letus price.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Regular Crew

This is my first shot made with the Letus35FE (handhold, i hadn't yet the rods so the image is not centered and you see the borders

download the DVPAL to be seen in your TV monitor
http://www.giovannisperanza.com/welc.../letu35feDVPAL

Mpeg4 movie:
http://www.giovannisperanza.com/welc...E-latitude.mov
The mpg4 movie seen on the computer monitor really doesn't render the quality of the video seen in the tv post
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Trustee

The only Letus I really liked was the LetusXL v2, really solid. But Barry is correct, in the price range there is nothing else close.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

IMHO price has very little to do with choosing the right 35mm adaptor.
When you have all the main contenders under $1500 the Brevis stands out a mile !
Also if you take what you do serioulsy then setup time as you will know is one of the most important factors to consider.
Want low light performance ?
Brevis again is the clear winner by a mile ! How many times have you been on a shoot and the light starts to drop, you only have a certain amount of time get the shot. If you don't have the Brevis you are going to have to finish a good hour before you would with the others. Sometimes this could mean having to pay the hole crew an extra day to reshoot the next day.
All the current top adaptors with their constant revisions and improvements produce great results in the right hands but one stands out.
It's name is BREVIS35.

Last edited by Matt Burton; August 1st, 2007 at 09:00 AM.
Matt Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Brevis does flip the image? has it a fixed GG?
So far (and i really don't want to start a product war) Letus35FE has the shaprest and less distorted image, with the flip bonus.
i'm shooting some amazing examples that i will show in the near future.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #14
Trustee

Giovanni,

How do yuou know that the Letus Flip has the sharpest image?
Have you compared them?
BTW, What do you mean by fixed GG?

Matt, have you compared the Brevis to the Letus Flip Enhanced?

I have a Brevis and like it very much and am impressed with Dennis's steady improvements, but I would like to see how the Letus compares. 1.5 stops of light loss could be a drag though.

What about the bokeh differences? Dennis is offering 3 different screens now. More bokeh with each one, but more bokeh equals more light loss.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Bokeh and screens?
Diffusing screens create fake bokeh, lavaged and unsharp image, with fixed thus visible grain.
Bokeh is obtained with a 35mm size GG. What's the size of that adapter's GG?
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods