More Letus35XL!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More Letus35XL!!!!

I just received mine today...I must say that I am really impressed so far.
The build quality is much better than I had expected. Quyen has really stepped things up this time!

I don't have anything to post yet...but I will be playing and shooting some stills and footage tomorrow...stay tuned! :)
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Jason,

Great! Look forward to seeing some footage.
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

:(

OK, so I guess I spoke a little too soon.

While I was BETA testing the unit, I found a few small issues...

The first of which was a small amount of dirt on the GG. With the motor turned on, it was almost invisible...but I have been seeing a lot of footage with dirt in it lately and I am a little bit of a perfectionist, so I had to do something about it. Quyen gave me some quick instructions, and 5 minutes later, I was dirt free!!!! So a bonus with the unit is that the GG is pretty easy to get to and clean.

Next, I noticed that the image looked good, but it wasn't as sharp as I had hoped. I was fearful that this may be due to the limitations of the GG or relay lens, but after another talk with Quyen...5 minutes later, things were looking pretty sharp! It was a slight backfocus adjustment that I needed to make to the adapter.

After that, I dealt with another issue that I had seen in some others footage. It seemed that with the relay lens iris all the way open, the image appeared a little bit fogged. This went away if it was stopped down a little bit, but I wanted to figure out why. After closer examination, I noticed that there was a pretty good smudge across the inside of the relay lens itself...which could easily be contributing to the issue. Cleaning the inside of the relay lens is a little more difficult to do, so I am sending the unit back to Quyen for the cleaning.

So...
I wish that I could post some footage for you guys, but I want to let Quyen fix these small issues before I do. He has been great with dealing with all my nitpicks, and I am very pleased with his service and products. This really is a well built and designed unit. I will say that in my tests, I did see some light loss...but I will try to determine how much once I get the adapter back in perfect condition.

Anyway, sorry for the delay in footage, but the Letus35xl does look very very promising!!!! :)
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Major Player

If you looked up the term 'Great Customer Service', you would probably find a picture of Quyen Le.

Thumbs up on a truely impressive product!
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kinney
If you looked up the term 'Great Customer Service', you would probably find a picture of Quyen Le.
That's an understatement. :) I can't say enough good things about Quyens customer service.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Jason,

When do you expect to have your Letus35XL returned?
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J. Harris
Hey Jason,

When do you expect to have your Letus35XL returned?
I talked to Quyen about it yesterday...he is trying some new things to improve the image and asked for a few more days to work on it before he sends it out again.

I hope to have time to shoot some test footage before I go out of town again...but definitely after the 12th I will have time to really test it and put up footage and grabs, as well as pictures of the unit itself. :)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #8
New Boot

xl2

Are you using the XL2 Jason?
Dain Valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dain Valverde
Are you using the XL2 Jason?
Nope...I am using the XL-H1 :)
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods