Digital still camera with the best movie mode capability - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #31
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,761
Some cameras, with best video article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1960951,00.asp
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #32
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
~cut~ There was another one for those one use cameras, where people hacked the firmware, and one for Mamed, that used an on camera OS (think it might be related to the one eventually used the Ipod, but am uncertain on details) to put a games emulator on there. Happy goggling ;) Asking around the Linux normal/video/photography, open hardware and hacker communities is another avenue (unless you find detailed information on the camera internal components it can take a more effort to find it out).
A co-worker of mine did that. He ran Doom (the game) on his old Kodak still digital camera. Ok graphics on the LCD and menu buttons used for controller. I did a double take first time I saw it.
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #33
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,761
Stephan,

I'm curious about the programming system, where ever it allowed full access to sensor control (frame-rate, binning, windowing and exposure) and frame output. Could you ask your friend?
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #34
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Millbrook, ON
Posts: 8
Canon S2 IS

Hi Stephen,

Just thought I would add some more about the Canon S2 IS. I have had this camera for almost a year now and am happy with its performance. 5MP stills are good and the video capability was surprisingly good. Under auto settings the camera tends to fish a bit with the focus if light levels are low or subject contrast is minimal.

There are two notable drawbacks to video from this still camera:

1. Max video setting of 640by480 at 30fps eats up the SD card like a snack! I get a little over 9 minutes of video on a 1GB card. So taking video of any kind of event that lasts 15 minutes to an hour or more and this video solution has serious drawbacks.

2. Native file AVI format for the video frequently runs into compatibility problems with video editing software. If any one can recommend a suitable software package (reasonable price) for editing these Canon AVI files I would appreciate hearing from you!

The best use of video from the Canon S2 IS is production of short clips for download to computer and playback from the computer.

So now I am looking at buying a video camera to be free of the hassles just mentioned. Relying on one piece of equipment just doesn't work for me!

Don
Don McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #35
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
avi format problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McLeod
Hi Stephen,

Just thought I would add some more about the Canon S2 IS. I have had this camera for almost a year now and am happy with its performance. 5MP stills are good and the video capability was surprisingly good. Under auto settings the camera tends to fish a bit with the focus if light levels are low or subject contrast is minimal.

There are two notable drawbacks to video from this still camera:

1. Max video setting of 640by480 at 30fps eats up the SD card like a snack! I get a little over 9 minutes of video on a 1GB card. So taking video of any kind of event that lasts 15 minutes to an hour or more and this video solution has serious drawbacks.

2. Native file AVI format for the video frequently runs into compatibility problems with video editing software. If any one can recommend a suitable software package (reasonable price) for editing these Canon AVI files I would appreciate hearing from you!

The best use of video from the Canon S2 IS is production of short clips for download to computer and playback from the computer.

So now I am looking at buying a video camera to be free of the hassles just mentioned. Relying on one piece of equipment just doesn't work for me!

Don

I completely forgot to mention this.... I have similar problems. Vegas cannot rread the video created by my Canon S1-is. For whatever reason, it doesnt like the resolution / bitrate / ???. So all I get is sound when I import a video and play it back in the trimmer. My room mate used Quicktime pro to export the files as .dv and that worked (on his mac) but when I did the same thing with quicktime pro on my win system the pixel aspect ratio was all screwy with no apparent reason (yes I checked all the settings, which sema to be in order). I may have to change the settings to the oposite of what they should be in order to fool quicktime into outputting the correct settings.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #36
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Stephan,

I'm curious about the programming system, where ever it allowed full access to sensor control (frame-rate, binning, windowing and exposure) and frame output. Could you ask your friend?
Hi Wayne,

It's this emulation layer:
http://digita.mame.net

It'll only work on these cameras which runs Digita OS:
http://digita.mame.net/reviews.htm

There's developers info here:
http://digita.mame.net/develop.htm

Basically, it loads the emulation layer like any OS would load a program. That emulation layer has nothing to do with controlling normal camera functions. It's only for playing video game on the LCD screen. I suppose one could write a program to custom control a camera, but that would entail lots of reverse engineering unless somehow the hardware specs or software libraries were open source.
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #37
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ventura, California, USA
Posts: 751
Vivitar 8300S

<< In addition to outstanding still images, the VIVICAM 8300s also has movie clip capability with sound. These may be recorded at 640 x 480 or 320 x 240 at 24 fps until the memory card is full. >>
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #38
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26
New CMOS sensor from Micron, 10 images per second at 8-megapixel resolution or 30 frames per second at a resolution of 2-megapixels. And get this, for $200 to $300 level digital still cameras.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12851321
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #39
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,761
I meant the OS layer and development system under it, but you mean your friend ran the application rather than he was one of the developers?

The pages are out of date, I wonder if it is useful on new cameras? I can't get links to the OS manufacturer.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #40
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Chan
New CMOS sensor from Micron, 10 images per second at 8-megapixel resolution or 30 frames per second at a resolution of 2-megapixels. And get this, for $200 to $300 level digital still cameras.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12851321
Good find, Stephen.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #41
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McLeod
Hi Stephen,
~cut~
2. Native file AVI format for the video frequently runs into compatibility problems with video editing software. If any one can recommend a suitable software package (reasonable price) for editing these Canon AVI files I would appreciate hearing from you!
Hi Don, thanks for the info. Your 2nd point makes a difference to me.
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #42
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I meant the OS layer and development system under it, but you mean your friend ran the application rather than he was one of the developers?

The pages are out of date, I wonder if it is useful on new cameras? I can't get links to the OS manufacturer.
Sorry Wayne, my co-worker just ran the emulation application, not developed it. From the developers page, it mentioned vxWorks, it's an OS for embedded devices and it's by:

http://www.windriver.com
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #43
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,761
Actually, it is the DigitaOS that is used to control the device and run programs, but I think that product is closed now.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network