Film Shot with the Letus35 in Holland - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Poitras
Very nice film, very well done.

How many people were involved in the production?

Just me, the actors and the sound person.
Michael Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Yeah, story is beautiful and very well narrated. Reminds me one of my friend who is in States right now. But gone in very similar reasons, i think.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Did you guys have a good time here? Looked like you had some great weather
(especially for Holland)!

NO!!!! It was freezing. The actors were so cold through out the filming. It rained every morning, but the sun always came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
When were you here?
April 1-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hool
Yeah, story is beautiful and very well narrated. Reminds me one of my friend who is in States right now. But gone in very similar reasons, i think.
Thanks is was a lot of work.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #19
New Boot

Michael, nice work. Great use of color and landscape and excellent use of natural light. I'm curious for more info about your post work (if you don't mind sharing it). In particular, I'm most interested in image correction. Which filters and adjustments did you use? Thanks.
Drew Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I loved the style of the film with the narration/music. Very good for engaging emotion and nostalgia.
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #21
Major Player

That was ..... a beauty!!!. I am going out of the country too and I hope to shoot a short to use at Festivals. Having some of the best gears available (M2+Letus Flip+XL2), I must make this site proud for giving us the very best we all need to bring out such art and creativity.

Awesome story men!.
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #22
Major Player

nostalgia?? damn I need to get back to my OXFORD Dictionary :)
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Buchanan
Michael, nice work. Great use of color and landscape and excellent use of natural light. I'm curious for more info about your post work (if you don't mind sharing it). In particular, I'm most interested in image correction. Which filters and adjustments did you use? Thanks.
It varied...

First, I had a tech do all the heavy lifting. I just guided him to achieve the look that I wanted. Having said that I know what was used, pretty much.

Through out the film we used the color safe filter and the "Too Much Too Soon" Smart De-Interlace filter. To adjust the color we primarily used the 3-way color corrector. For contrast I used a customized version of Magic Bullet's "Max Contrast" filter. I would have used the QuickTime Brightness/Contrast filter but in many instances it had a bug and caused a flicker. I still have yet to solve this problem. There were a couple of scenes, IE: the train and the Tulip field that we customized other Magic Bullet presets. Out of the box the MB stuff it way over the top, but when adjusted they render beautiful results.

OTHER STUFF: The Letus35 is very dusty. Anyone who is planning to use one should have PLENTY of compressed air and a place to open it up. I used the bathroom, as there is very little dust there.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #24
Tourist

Hey Michael,

Great stuff u got there! Do you have any issues with the grains at all? I mean I see lots of grain when i make any camera movement...they seem almost static. I had to do quite abit of work in post to minimize the grains. Just wondering if you have any experience like mine?

Derrick
Derrick Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Lu
Hey Michael,

Great stuff u got there! Do you have any issues with the grains at all? I mean I see lots of grain when i make any camera movement...they seem almost static. I had to do quite abit of work in post to minimize the grains. Just wondering if you have any experience like mine?

Derrick
I thought I'd see more grain, but what you see is what is there.

Having said that if I were to stop down then the grain would be very apparent. In order to use a product like the Letus you have to be willing to make compromises.

It's also important that you know what you are doing. The Letus can yield good results, but is limited in it's range. If you don't have a good command of it, the results can be awful.
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #26
Tourist

so can you kindly share with us what are some of the things you took note of to maximise the potential of the adapter? I have a Letus myself but being not so technically inclined, i'd love to hear some advice!
Derrick Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick Lu
so can you kindly share with us what are some of the things you took note of to maximise the potential of the adapter? I have a Letus myself but being not so technically inclined, i'd love to hear some advice!
Don't shoot above 1.8. Keep A LOT of dust off handy. Make sure you are good at manually focusing. Use a very good lens.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Great Film, good actors!
How many light did you use indoors ?
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Leonhard
Great Film, good actors!
How many light did you use indoors ?
Thanks.

None.

It's all available light and a reflector when needed.
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dominic
Thanks.

None.

It's all available light and a reflector when needed.
you tested both letus flipped and normal version - did you found the flipped version has more light loss ?
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods