movies with cinemek G35, feedback please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1
New Boot

movies with cinemek G35, feedback please.

Hi, I posted my movies over in dv for masses but I barely got a response. I thought more people would be interested in 35mm adapter footage...:(
Anyway, here they are for what it's worth.

First is a short black comedy about a man contemplating suicide called "Perfect Day."
http://www.funkalicious.net/perfectday/perfectday.mov

The second is a parody music video of James Blunt-this is self explanatory. (we got a great response for this one, featured on vh1 best of the week blog)
http://blacklotuspro.trafikfilms.com.../emotional.mov

The third film is a noir style film called "Ginger" directed by myself.
http://www.trafikfilms.com/ginger/Ginger.mov

-Koa
Koa Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Im downloading the james blunt one now. sounds funny.

alright, watched it. pretty funny. kinda sick, actually really sick. not something ill show other people for entertainment. haha
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Just viewed the James Blunt video, funny stuff!
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Major Player

That James Blunt vid brilliant. Love the scene where he was masturbating. Ginger was excellent, love the colours.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
Love the scene where he was masturbating.
....no comment... J/K =)
Forrest Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Major Player

what cam was ginger shot on?
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #7
New Boot

Hello,

Thank you very much for your comments! All the films were shot on an xl2, with the older 16xII lens(not the 20x). I'm still waiting for a relay lens, but it has done me lots of good:). So if you see a difference in image/color from film to film, this is just from color grading differences.

We just had our annual festival yesterday here at uc irvine, and 5 out of 6 films I dp'd for (G35&xl2) won awards including best overall. It also made my night when one of the judges told me she swore we shot on 35mm:)! Thank god for G35 I said. Sorry if the emotional video was offensive, but it does not even compare to what we are working on now...lol but of course as filmmakers I don't think we should worry too much about offending people.

Thanks, if anyone wants to share knowledge on camera settings, color grading and such, I would love to discuss...

-Koa
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes, ginger colour grading? Did you use FCP? What matrix did you use?
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Very impressive work. The 35mm adapter complements the chosen look very well (for example Ginger - soft look, shallow dof, technicolor style CC looks combined with the Sin City look)

I think it is a prime example of how a 35mm adapter can be used to support the story rather than simply hiding the video look.

By the way, the "emotional" video was indeed very funny.
Thomas Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks Thomas, I appreciate the comments! As far as coloring, all I've been using is Graeme Nattress's plugs in FCP, the gfilm, and it's speedy and awesome-so many options. I have magic bullet but it just doesn't do it for me. I think he's with RED now and his plug is awesome, so I can't wait to see what he does for those guys. What do u mean by matrix? I don't know too much about tech terms...

but question, is it better to color on an uncompressed timeline? I always get some degradation when bouncing a file no matter what I try, and it get's so much worst when I try to make a dvd...

-Koa
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i like the first one alot, its very true to life, even if theres seems to be some strange artifacts when i watch it - flickering of a cd if its on the adapter?
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks Tim!

The artifacts should be from the compression. I encoded it in mpeg4 "low" quality, so I apologize for that. How do they get the apple trailers to look so good?? So if there is flickering, it can't be from the adapter-mine is a static version.

man, my small bandwidth is killing me...
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

i think its about the codecs they use - mpeg is quite an old codec, so a newer one in theory would give better quality

i encoded a few vids in MP4 and i was quite happy with the quality,even at low bitrates
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa Miyamoto
Thanks Tim!

The artifacts should be from the compression. I encoded it in mpeg4 "low" quality, so I apologize for that. How do they get the apple trailers to look so good?? So if there is flickering, it can't be from the adapter-mine is a static version.

man, my small bandwidth is killing me...
Apple uses the H.264 CODEC to encode their movie trailers. I've been told that the CODEC was developed to distribute high definition footage at 720p, 1080p, or 1080i over the internet at reasonable download sizes. The CODEC is a huge leap from Sorenson 3 (their are some minor bugs with it, however). The big plus to it is that you can have a larger movie file and better audio quality at the fraction of the file size of other compressors. The H.264 can convert audio to the AAC file extension -- the official iTunes music format -- during compression to have superior audio.

And you know what the most amazing part of it is? You can encode your files with the H.264 CODEC for just $30 if you upgrade your software to QuickTime Pro 7. I use the Canon XL2, and even though it is a SD camera, the web version of my footage look spectacular. I'd post some stuff if my website bandwidth wasn't so low. ;)
Zack Vohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes. And if you have too much spare time, encode it on a shot-to-shot basis and glue it together.
Kurt August is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods