DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Redrock M2 Image Flip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/67657-redrock-m2-image-flip.html)

Luke Springer May 18th, 2006 12:46 PM

Redrock M2 Image Flip

How hard would it be to use a prism placed between the M2 and your 35mm lens to flip the image?

Just a thought,
Luke

Forrest Schultz May 18th, 2006 05:54 PM

harder than hell, dont Do it!

Bob Hart May 19th, 2006 09:50 AM

Second the above. Don't attempt it as you will be on a hiding to nowhere.

As far as I can determine, for any 35mm adaptor using comon SLR lenses, there is not enough optical distance between back of the lens and the focal plane to allow a prism erector to be inserted and yet be large enough to allow the full width of the image to be projected onto the groundglass.

Larger prisms would cause the lens focal plane to fall short of the groundglass within one of the prisms.

Prism erectors and mirror erectors have been placed in the path between the groundglass and the camcorder. The close-up lens (macro lens) power has to be carefully chosen to allow enough optical distance between the groundglass and front of lens for the prisms to fit.

Ric Marrty May 21st, 2006 09:15 PM

flip image

So how difficult could it be to create an image fliper for the eyepiece of the camera. focal distance and lighting would not be factors just a tube with optical elements that would connect to the eyepiece and flip the image.

just my 2cents

ric

Andrew Todd May 22nd, 2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart

As far as I can determine, for any 35mm adaptor using comon SLR lenses, there is not enough optical distance between back of the lens and the focal plane to allow a prism erector to be inserted and yet be large enough to allow the full width of the image to be projected onto the groundglass.

Larger prisms would cause the lens focal plane to fall short of the groundglass within one of the prisms.

Prism erectors and mirror erectors have been placed in the path between the groundglass and the camcorder. The close-up lens (macro lens) power has to be carefully chosen to allow enough optical distance between the groundglass and front of lens for the prisms to fit.

the letus is flipped.. and it allows the full width of the image to be projected onto the groundglass.

Andrew Todd May 22nd, 2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart

the letus is flipped.. and it allows the full width of the image to be projected onto the groundglass.

Bob Hart May 22nd, 2006 08:48 AM

As far as I can work it out, the Letus flip also "flips" the image in the space between the groundglass and the camcorder, not between the prime lens and the groundglass.

His method apparently uses mirrors where I have used prisms and his method uses a different arrangement to that of two pairs of 90 degree reflectors in 90 degree opposition.

There are a number of valid methods. P+S Technik appear to use a hybrid method of both mirrors and prisms.

Common to all methods, as far as I can see, is that the flip stage occurs between the groundglass and videocamera.

To flip the eye view of an optical viewfinder would require a similar amount of engineering effort to that of flipping the actual image. The same effort might more worthily be directed to flipping the actual camera image itself.

Andy Gordon May 22nd, 2006 09:24 AM

Oscar Spier took the viewfinder on his camcorder apart and flipped it upside down, then screwed it back together.