Letus35 "HandyMan" on order -HC1 config? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35 "HandyMan" on order -HC1 config?

OK, after seeing some of the video shot here I am sold. I don't expect the thing to work wonders but will treat as a 'speciality' lens for experimentation like my Macro adaptor and stuff I have been doing with nightmode/Infra-red filters (fun!)

So plenty of experimentation upcoming.

OK, Question: Given I have a Sony HC1 and would like to start to gather some setup and usage info. I've done a search here on HC1 but no specifics are available.

If anyone has got info on the following please post:

1. Physical -extra adapter rings needed?
2. Camera settings: AE modes, zooming, focus, shutter(e.g. "1/50th sec...")
3. General techniques for best usage of...
4. In addition I would like to share some results with you at some point -what the best/easiest way (I am running Sony Vegas 6d)

Thanks for any input in advance, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Major Player

One thing to do is use "Adam's Flip" in Vegas.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Vegas tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
One thing to do is use "Adam's Flip" in Vegas.
I hadn't even thought of Vegas but yes -NLE tips for further enhancing the film look in Post and making life easier (like this one) are most welcome too!

OK, now what's 'Adams Flip'? (sorry new to Vegas too...)
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Image flip -no other comments

OK, got an email from Quyen confiming the Letus is 'in the post'. Expectations mount...

Link to Adam Woodworth's flip tool:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61195

-Here is a thread regarding issues with flipping images in Vegas I found on this forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62601

Anyone else using the Letus on an HC1 perhaps with Vegas?

Nick.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No HC1-ers?? / Vibrations

OK, not too many replies to my 'best settings for HC1' post -am I the only one using the HDV-HC1 with this unit?

I have received my Handyman HC1 and am generally impressed by the build quality. OK, the epoxy inside could be a bit neater but I'm being picky. I am still waiting on my 50mm Cannon lens and 37mm-58mm stepper ring.

Vibrations: This thing vibrates quite a bit doesn't it. I am guessing you cannot use a cameras 'steady shot' capability with the unit on as it would actually make the image worse being flipped as it is (the image would be shifted the WRONG WAY in order to compensate for a left or right vibration displacement). Just another of the settings I need to experiment with.

Note: There are no instructions on usage/assembly supplied with this unit (Hence threads like this!).
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
OK, not too many replies to my 'best settings for HC1' post -am I the only one using the HDV-HC1 with this unit?
I'm using a HC-1 with the regular Letus35. I will try to do some tests when I have the time (maybe next week).
Mike Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Some answers -still testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Outram
OK, after seeing some of the video shot here I am sold. I don't expect the thing to work wonders but will treat as a 'speciality' lens for experimentation like my Macro adaptor and stuff I have been doing with nightmode/Infra-red filters (fun!)

So plenty of experimentation upcoming.

OK, Question: Given I have a Sony HC1 and would like to start to gather some setup and usage info. I've done a search here on HC1 but no specifics are available.

If anyone has got info on the following please post:

1. Physical -extra adapter rings needed?
2. Camera settings: AE modes, zooming, focus, shutter(e.g. "1/50th sec...")
3. General techniques for best usage of...
4. In addition I would like to share some results with you at some point -what the best/easiest way (I am running Sony Vegas 6d)

Thanks for any input in advance, Nick.
After some experimentation I can start to put some answers in -in would be really nice if we -as a forum- could create some specific setup and usage info for the various camcorders the Letus is being used on as there is no info. supplied at all. A simple componenet diagram would be nice to start -I hope Quyen is listening...

For HC1:
1. You will need a 37mm to 58mm adapter ring (for the standard 58mm unit)
2. Best setting seems to be Program AE mode set to Auto with speed at 1/50sec. No zoom or very small amount.
3. If you rotate the screen it flips horizontal -you can look down on it like a medium format camera -vertical flip is still present but it's one less variable. Tripod with fixed frame is probably best though.
4. Adams flip for Vegas is good.
5. Unit needs to be kept really clean -small dirt spots are picked up easily

-more to come.

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods