Sigma f2.8 14mm EX lens. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Sigma f2.8 14mm EX lens.

I am led to believe that production of this lens is soon to be or may already discontinued.

Apparently the math related to costs of unit production versus number of items selling, suggest it worthwhile not to continue making it.

So if you are hoping to wait awhile to buy this lens secondhand or for a price drop, maybe this is the time to buy before it disappears.

I can vouch for its usefulness on my AGUS35 based setup. How it performs on different relay designs I cannot offer any valid opinion.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i have a dslr, and if this is a modern lens i would not recommend this, as you would have no manual control over aperture, atleast not without quite alot of work (as it is electronicaly controlled).

i am unsure of the importance to you, but it has reasonable optics on a dslr anyway if you wish to use it.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Tim, there are products sold that control the lens without using a camera body.

The DIY and very inexpensive way of doing it is to adapt the important bits out of a camera body.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i guess so, could probably use parts from a cheap canon film slr or something along those lines.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

This lens has a toe in both camps. It is specified as a film and DSLR camera lens. It is manually controllable for aperture and focus but also is motorised and has ability to be managed by a film camera or DSLR automatically.

It has a useful field of view but care has to be taken to protect the front element which is almost hemispherical and protrudes beyond the cutaway sunshade.

Mandatory best practice is lens covers on at all times unless actually shooting and side cover tube on when initially scoping the shot.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

the optics on it are good anyway. im planning to get a sigma 10-20 for my 350d sometime, maybe ill try it on my w.i.p 35mm adapter lol.

sorry for my mistake then, i wasnt aware these kind of things were available
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods