JVC HD100 + 35mm relay devices. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 6th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

JVC HD100 + 35mm relay devices.

I am stuck on the pointy horns of a bit of a dilemma.

There is a local film-maker who would like to use my AGUS35 based device for an upcoming independent movie project. The project will likely be shot with two JVC HD100s.

I have two available devices currently configured for Sony HDR-FX1/HVR-Z1P. They are both flip devices and both work identically. One is a clean remake. The other is the original 16:9 prism version which is full of holes and filled hacksaw cuts from many adjustments and mods.

Initial offer-up tests suggest the JVC HD100 has plenty of zoom and focus range on the Fujinon standard lens to cover the available image which I have pushed out to 30mm width by letting the prisms overhang the prism block apertures.

I would have to make up new shortened housings as the lens hood mount arrangement of the Fujinon is entirely different to the Sony.

If this was a vollie project or deferrment project I would be comfortable with undertaking to provide and service the devices as the producers could be expected to take their chances if taking on free goods.

This project however has a budget, is potentially a paying gig and apparently one industry name attached. So I have now aquired a bit of a lack of confidence.

The device has now had about 80 hours of on-set time being set up, dismantled and trucked about so I think it will last the distance. What I can't guarantee is to be able to instantly fix or replace any losses due to mishandling or accident.

I have advised the intending film maker that there are other devices in the marketplace which are more sophisticatedly developed and have better product support than my own hand built device.

However, the preference seems to be with using mine, possibly because I am here close by to trouble-shoot, tutor on using the device and the results have been seen.

I am keen to participate in this project which is intended for commercial release.

I have some apprehensions when considering that the committment of a whole crew of people may hang on the endurance and reliability of two junked CD player motors and assorted optics living inside some bits of sewer pipe.

So sensibly I should try to research and anticipate the problems I may encounter. To this end, I now post this enquiry here.

I have read at dvinfo there may be issues with the JVC and other HDV cameras with the mpeg2 codec becoming overloaded by the relayed images from 35mm adaptors.

The problem is apparently created by the grain effect from the groundglass adding to the workload of the codec.

I have not run into the problem with the Sony cams yet so I don't know what to expect.

If anyone can advise me here of their experiences with operating the JVC HD100 camera with any type of groundglass based 35mm relay device attached, any difficulties in shooting a long-form project and particularly with post-production of 35mm relay footage, this will be greatly appreciated.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods