DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Brevis35 latest development. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/69380-brevis35-latest-development.html)

Dennis Wood June 12th, 2006 07:37 AM

Brevis35 latest development.

Here is some very promising footage from the Brevis35 latest testing.

http://www.savefile.com/files/4554524

We've been doing some extensive testing based on beta group feedback, and comparative film analysis. This configuration shows a .5 stop (total system loss) over the existing setup. Adapter loss is 0 f stops, with additional loss dependent on the 35mm lens used. The f 1.4 lens used for this test results in the camera seeing 1 f stop of light loss. This clip was done with the 50mm f1.4 at f2

Boica Zsolt June 12th, 2006 07:50 AM

Wow

Great job Dennis. That looks awesome. I myself want to build a 35mm adapter, but I have an f 2.0 lens, and now I'm looking for a good ground glass. I took out a realy good one from a zenit camera, but I think it has a little barrel distorsion. If you want to see the gg i have image. Back to the footage that looks realy cool.

Yasser Kassana June 12th, 2006 08:33 AM

Was that tested with the Gs400, excellent bokeh, looking good Dennis. I look forward to further developments. The brevis could be the best 35mm adapter going...

Dennis Wood June 12th, 2006 08:54 AM

Yes, GS400 in 4:3 interlaced mode. Cam's aperture was set to "Open", 0 gain.

Toenis Liivamaegi June 12th, 2006 09:48 AM

Hi Dennis,

Absolutely wonderful. The best non-spinner bokeh I have seen so far.

You say there is new diffuser now in Brevis?
Aint` you using Beatties any moore or is it modified somehow?
I assume there is a risky way to grind a plastic beattie to better diffusion level but wouldn`t it add up to light loss?

Almost year ago I thought about spinning and ossilating a medium sized beattie to get better bokeh but it`s price was fortunately out of trial and error league.

Regs,
T.

Erik Rangel June 12th, 2006 10:37 AM

That looks great Dennis. One of the issues that kept me from buying a Brevis was the really fuzzy bokeh, but now if this is what the newer units are shipping with consider me sold.

Dennis Wood June 12th, 2006 11:31 AM

Erik, we still need to explore the limitations of this setup, but in all likelihood there will be a user "selectable" option. The truth of it is that every adapter has it's limitations, but by allowing some user choice, the shooter can decide which of these to work within.

Erik Rangel June 12th, 2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Erik, we still need to explore the limitations of this setup, but in all likelihood there will be a user "selectable" option. The truth of it is that every adapter has it's limitations, but by allowing some user choice, the shooter can decide which of these to work within.

Thanks Dennis, I'll be looking forward to this option when it is developed further and available for ordering.
Off topic really quick-I own a JVC JY-HD10u and if I were to purchase the brevis with the acromat and find that The acromat isn't needed could I then return the acromat? I understand you have a message board for FAQ's at you website but I have yet to register there.
Back on topic- when do you see this newer option to be available?

Tim Johnson June 12th, 2006 12:24 PM

do you mind me asking what you are using for your projection screen (gg?) as i am a noob?

Forrest Schultz June 12th, 2006 04:25 PM

Tim, i doubt he'd go out and just tell us if he plans on making any money after all the research.

Tim Johnson June 13th, 2006 08:56 AM

fair enoth, worth a try i guess lol

Dennis Wood June 13th, 2006 09:23 AM

Erik, email me for some testing tips/achro info. The adapter is currently being sold with everything in place for diffuser swaps. In other words, the design work is done, and the parts are already incorporated. Once I'm happy with the new setup, it will be available as a 5-10 minute swap in. The current config is incredibly sharp, has .5 stops of light gain, and is a very, very good film match in all respects at F2.8 - F4 and above. The current setup is not going to be replaced...I'm just going to provide an alternative for those willing to deal with the light loss vs diffusion trade off.

I have a production run at the CNC shop being completed this week, including our new rail systems.

Erik Rangel June 13th, 2006 10:42 AM

email sent.
Thanks Dennis.

Mikko Parttimaa June 13th, 2006 01:57 PM

How is the aperture control in Brevis? Couldn't find any info.

How long can you step down before you start seeing grain (if you do?) Most of the stuff I have seen shot with this has been in the neighbourhood of 1.4-2.8.

Dennis Wood June 13th, 2006 10:47 PM

Mikko, there is no aperture control, nor will you find one on any of the non-relay adapters. The 35mm lens aperture and/or ND filters are used to control exposure of the GG, the camera aperture for the CCDs.

In proper light, F16 is completely doable, although this is hardly ideal in terms of the optical properties of most lenses. At this f stop the DOF will be so deep, you're better off removing the adapter. I've done a fair bit of shooting at F4 to F8 when shallow DOF becomes unmanageable with respect to maintaining focus.

This dolly shot (ignore the DVish red banding) http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=5675492 was done at f4.