DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Suggestions for new sub forums for DIY, and Alternative Imaging/forums. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/69472-suggestions-new-sub-forums-diy-alternative-imaging-forums.html)

Wayne Morellini June 13th, 2006 01:08 PM

Suggestions for new sub forums for DIY, and Alternative Imaging/forums.

Hi

There are many threads on DIY projects and they get all mixed up and it is hard to keep track of what is happening in each community of DIY projects.

I would like to suggest some new sub forums and a new forum structure that would greatly help this.

There are mostly two types of DIY projects here, the Lens adaptors and accessories crowd, and the make/modify your own Camera and recorder crowd. I would like to suggest sub forums for them:

Make your own lens adaptor and accessories

Make/Modify your own Cameras/Recorders
(listing alternative cameras like SI/Drake as well)

Everything else (Methods and other equipment).

But it would be good to also have a general view of all these forums to quickly check what is happening across the alternative community. So, could I suggest that Alternative Imaging Methods master forum list all the threads from the three sub forums. Each of the threads could have a symbol, number (1 to X) beside it to mark which sub forum it is in (another quick way to find threads that interest you).

Making software to solve problems forum:

Even though there is little demand for it, I would, like to suggest a "Making Software to solve problems" forum. Where people can start software development projects, or people can ask for software solutions to problems.

There is a strong open source video software development community out there, that would have been complimentary to our hardware projects, but were totally separate, and so never helped us. I would like to see a forum to welcome them in and where people could ask for software to solve problems.

For instance, I have posted in the Sanyo HD1 forum, about the possibility to do software to re-arrange the horrible incorrect macro blocks in the cameras footage, in post (a troublesome bug in the Sanyo camera). For somebody that knows what to do, it should be easy.

Another thread I have just started, is asking wherever there is any footage enhancement software that can examine pixels from multiple frames to restore pixel, and colour, detail lost in the compression process, and to noise, and do resolution upscaling (to enhance HDV footage to HDCAM quality). People in these communities can do this stuff, and there are a few spread around dvinfo.

Threads that don't fit in one forum:

There is also another problem, I would like to suggest a solution for. When you ask a question that doesn't fit only in one forum, the people that "might" know the answer, or all the information, might be over several forums. All to often nobody in the forum, it gets posted to, knows the answer, or all the details. Sometimes the thread gets moved to the wrong forum, because it looks like it might also fit there.

I would like to suggest the ability to post threads that are linked from several forums, so that all the right people get the chance to see and respond to it. In this, if you post a question, or information, that covers multiple areas, you can copy the address of thread and then use that address to post a link in the other relevant forums. There could be a "submit as a link field" on the post page. There is still only one thread, but people can see and access it from their own local area. This also enables the wranglers to put links in other forums, if they think it applies else where. The existing thread "link" mechanism can be used.

"What's happening" section, wranglers nominated favorite threads:

Another enhancement, is to have a forum wide "What's happening" section at the top of the page, and below the sticky threads. If there is a news breaker thread, or a very significant question or information, then the wranglers can nominate to put a temporary link to the thread there, and replace it when it no longer is significant (or just let it fall off the list). The wranglers could nominate that they turn up in their area, forum or sub forum, or Chris could select a link for the whole of dvinfo. The links would be listed board wide, area wide, forum wide, sub forum wide, so the new local information is just above the thread listing. The mechanism would be the same as the sticky area currently used, except there would be board, local area, local forum, local sub forum areas, joined together to look like one area, but able to be accessed by whoever is in charge of that area.

Often significant threads get buried, or are in some place you don't get to, so you miss them, with this all the right people can get to them. So you have to hunt through the thread history on the different forums to find them. For instance, the release of the AVCHD H264 camera format, and even HDV, before that, are examples of threads that could have been posted in such a place across dvinfo, it also gives wranglers a chance to place notice threads across dvinfo.

Listing threads by start date:

There is another thing, with the listing, and search, it would be good if we could list them by the date they started. It is difficult to find old threads sometimes, because they are only listed by the date of the last post.

An "new upcoming cameras" forum thread list:

I like to keep track of what's coming up, announced, or not, and I often have to go through area51, news, each manufacturers forum thread history to find out if something new has cropped up. Wouldn't it be great if wranglers could put links to all these threads spread across everywhere, in one forum, and people could post new info there, up until the camera is released and the first reviews have gone through. People in a forum would see local camera information, but the "Upcoming camera" forum would act like a quick general view.

I hope these help.

Sorry for the length these things have been brewing in me for a while, and it is very late here.

Thanks

Wayne.

Matteo Pozzi June 14th, 2006 01:54 AM

I'm with you Wayne