New Letus35 Flipped Enhanced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #1
New Boot

New Letus35 Flipped Enhanced

Hi all

Just got my Letus35 FE last week, i intend to use it on multiple cameras like the Panasonic DVX100a and Sony HVR Z1. Is it right to say that to align the orientation of the focusing screen, i may not be able to screw the adapter to the camera(s) tightly? This is due to the different depths of the screw threads?

Is there a way to adjust the orientation of the screw threads while ensuring that the Letus is screwed on tightly? Hope you guys get what i am trying to say.

Cheong Ying Sien
Cheong Ying Sien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Its not obvious at first, but the silver thread ring that screws into the camera is just pressure fit into the letus fe. Its really snug at first, but loosens up rather quickly after a few turns. (probably a bit too quickly, so dont turn it more than you must).

You can screw the adapter into the camera then keep applying pressure and the ring will slip rather than the threads getting tighter... a bit scary, but it works.

There is probably a better way to do it, but once you realize the silver ring isnt attached to the black body of the fe, i'm sure you'll figure out a way that you are comfortable with to spin it.

cheers,
-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheong Ying Sien
Hi all

Just got my Letus35 FE last week, i intend to use it on multiple cameras like the Panasonic DVX100a and Sony HVR Z1. Is it right to say that to align the orientation of the focusing screen, i may not be able to screw the adapter to the camera(s) tightly? This is due to the different depths of the screw threads?

Is there a way to adjust the orientation of the screw threads while ensuring that the Letus is screwed on tightly? Hope you guys get what i am trying to say.

Cheong Ying Sien
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I also have the Letus enhanced and had the same problem. I think the safer thing to do is to slide the sliver metal ring out of the main plastic housing. Then screw in the ring until it's tight on your camera (tight not crazy tight). Next align the adapter so the Ground Glass is correctly square and then mark the barrel of the silver ring and put a corresponding mark on the top of the Letus. This will allow you to slide the silver ring back in and make the marks match and when the silver ring slips at some point and gets turned past where it should be you can always pop it out and align it again. When the marks are correct the entire adapter will screw in and then become tight on the camera and align correctly with the ground glass.

Also, naturally evern with a little use the silver ring will start to get a little loose. If you want a permenant solution, once you've got the perfect alignment just super glue the silver ring into the main plastic housing. But if you're planning to use it for other cameras a friend of mine came up with a pretty creative solution. I don't know the official name for this but it's a pipe clamp used to tighten hoses. It's basically a metal notched strap with a set screw. You place it around the outside of the plastic barrel and tighten it down. It will put more pressure on the metal ring and hold it in place.

For those of you who might be interested in jumping into the 35mm adapter world, I'm going to be selling my Letus Flip Enhanced when I finish my project at the end of this month. Only needed it for this one project. So it's only a month old and in great condition. Too much of a run and gunner to mess with lenses
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are going to put a hose clamp on a Letus, it might be better to use one of those Trico style or turbocharger clamps which have a little free pivoting section in loops on each end of the clamp and a divided profile so no local overpressure is exerted on the structure.

Ordinary clamps have a bend under the screw which pushes things severely out of shape and may do harm if left fitted for too long especially if outdoors in hot weather or direct sunlight.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the reponses guys.

Managed to get Quyen in another thread and he recommended that i unscrew the silver thread end, remove the adapter from the silver thread end, attach the silver thread end to the camera 1st and then plug the letus back on to the silver thread end.

Though in the long term securing the letus to the silver thread end may be an issue, so i guess will invest in some support rods soon.
Cheong Ying Sien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods