Letus35 a gogo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35 a gogo

Hi,

OK, I got my 50mm Canon f1.4 and 37mm to 58mm adapter ring for my HD HC1 in the post so I now have a working rig.

Notes from an excited user:

I'm a bit new to this sort of stuff so bear with me. The first thing I noticed when I turned on my cam was that I got a picture straight away -pretty good. What's those two black bars down the side? OK, Thats the misalignment of the internal frame, must be I've seen some footage here. Got to loosen the back screw and rotate the unit until it -there it is! No more black bands at the edge -great, I'm cooking now.

OK, let's cut out some variables here, I've got more knobs to play with than I can handle... Let's put an aftershave bottle a metre away and play with that. 50mm set to manual 1m -looks OK, expand the focus, yes it's in focus. Bit grainy though -Aha, turn the vibrator on.... But what should be the focus distance for the camera? Erm, gotta be pretty close if it's focusing IN the barrel. OK, set it to auto then switch to manual so it doesn't 'hunt' when the 50mm focus gets changed. What about the camera aperture? MMM, not sure, set the camera to 1/50 sec and leave the aperture on auto...

Bit tricky moving around with a flip model, keep moving it the wrong way... Turn the HC1 screen until it is pointing 45 degree forward ('flipped') and look down on it like a medium format camera -sorted the horizontal flip but left and right are still reversed. Still one less variable... This thing is going to take some practice.

Fixed camera test shots with various kitchen items, fairy bottle, Ariel soap powder box, hey that's looking pretty cool! Look at the way the narrow DOF sweeps through those babies! Backwards and forwards I get the soap packet 'talking' to the vitamin container in a mock converstion -I laugh out loud as the orange bottle cuts in with a Mr Big comment "I'm Mr Orange Bottle and you will listen to meeeee!". This is cool -looks like 'film' even on my little screen!

Lets put it into Vegas, apply Adams Flip filter (thanks for that!) NICE !! OK, not cleaned it yet, few black spots. Render the HD -throw in a bit of Magic -Bullits- Woh! That looks good! This is a whole new ball game... Need to post some footage to show but how? All my files are huge...

Can I set the CAnon 50mm to anything other than f1.4 -seems fixed or am I missing another knob?

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Major Player

i enjoyed that
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Major Player

http://letus35.com/type1.JPG
Shim this and you can stop down the lens. How big are the files? Email me for uploading space, try to keep it small or my website will be down because of that :)
Oh, another thing. When you say flip model, people may think it's the Flip version on my website. Thanks.

Quyen
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quyen Le
http://letus35.com/type1.JPG
Shim this and you can stop down the lens. How big are the files? Email me for uploading space, try to keep it small or my website will be down because of that :)
Oh, another thing. When you say flip model, people may think it's the Flip version on my website. Thanks.

Quyen
Shim: a temporary cardboard paper shim did the trick -thanks!

I am seeing some vignetting using the HC1 -this does not appear to be coming from the 50mm lens as the internal 35mm image looks ok.

Has anyone else seen vignetting with the HC1? -zooming in cuts it down but then I am not 'at' 50mm anymore...

Regards, Nick.
Nick Outram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods