1/3" video lens on 8mm (film) camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Player

1/3" video lens on 8mm (film) camera?

It occurs to me that a great video lens like the Canon "L" series might yield excellent resolution if a Super 8 camera could be modified to work with one... 8mm is just slightly less that 1/3" and would (by my calculations) only cause a 6% magnification in an 8mm frame (someone correct me if that's not right).

Any comments? I'm not saying this is something I have plans to attempt, but it might be an interesting future project.

I have the beautiful 20x lens for my XL2 sitting around which I'll almost never use after I finish the mini35 I'm working on... but I do shoot 8mm, too... so mechanically, it might be as simple as machining an XL lens mount (which I can do now ;)) of the proper thickness for the flange focal distance on the 8mm camera I want to modify.

The one snag I can think of is the fact that the 20x lens is electric/servo-controlled. conceivably I could figure out the voltages/pulse rates etc. the 20x lens uses and program a microcontroller specifically for use of that lens on a film camera (with my own electrical contacts).

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods