A new chemically engineered GG - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 27th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #76
Inner Circle

I do not know what went horribly wrong with the post above but it is mutilated and stunted and missing a bit about the polishing.

For the polishing there are first two grinds, the first with a farly coarse 300, then a finer dressing with the A05.

The polish is done by using a fine felt material glued down over a glass disk which is a tight fit in the bottom of the mixer barrel. The BK7 disk still glued down to the brass disk with wax, is moved over this pad in a slurry of cerium oxide. The polish happens in about one hour but if the grinding stages was not finished, the polish has very smooth fine pits in it.

When the polish is complete on both sides, one side is then dressed again with the AO5 against a glass disk to get the groundglass finish. Care has to be taken not to let the AO5 slurry to become too overworked as gouges can occur in the groundglass finish.

Finally, the preceding post describes my own understanding of how the other methods of moving groundglass work and may not reflect in truth the operating principles, so the my commentary should be regarded with some healthy scepticism. If My understanding severely misdescribes the principles of other appliances, then I sincerely apologise in advance.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Hi Bob, thanks for theinfo. Very informative especially on the P+S system. So looks like they too use a simple albeit more sophisticated system to move their GG. I 100% agree with you on the GG. If they are the best you can get, we pretty much solve the problem with image quality whether its rotating or vibrating. I admit I still prefer rotating as they are silent and no vibration as long as the GG is centrally located.

About your method of grinding. I am stump as to the complexity of the device. And looks like for the disk from Ohara, boths sides are not polished. That would mean you have to polish both sides. Getting one side to ground properly is hard enough. To polish it, wow, that is hard work.

I just use simple round cut glass and ground one side with 1200 sandpaper. The image look pretty decent.

I am hoping for a miracle with Tony's idea. If it work, then at least I can spend more time building a proper housing for my mini35. Making it out of plumbing stuff just isn't right as the precision is not there.

Once again Bob, thanks for the info. I am clear now on how P+S works.

Tony,

Hope you get well soon. I have just emailed you on my requirements. Hope you can give me a good offer. Once I accept, how do I pay you?
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #78
Inner Circle

The ohara glass is definitely not finished on either side and involves a lot of work.

Tony's method of using very thin, very flat slices of BK7 finished glass is the attraction. There should not be any image shake which is nearly as much as a challenge to mpg2 compression as visible moving groundglass grain is.

What his method of finish offers is that one will be able to use a much larger zoom range in the relay stage with FX1 or similar inbuilt lens camcorders to go in closer on the groundglass image to assist framing and composition without compromising the image sharpness as much.

This is why I would still use his glass as a spinner and not simply as a fixed glass. Viewed close enough and there will have to be some texture visible as there is with wax.

But used as a moving GG, the main limitation on zoom-in enlargement of the GG image may well be the sharpness of the SLR lens itself and the camcorder's own limitations.

If only he can get the texture uniform around the entire disk??
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Tony,

You feeling much better? This thread hasn't been updated for a few days, thought I'll just checkup on you.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Hi everyone.

Sorry I havent updated you all on the DiGi35 GG, I've just got back from holiday. Website should be up and running next week with footage and stills. To all of those who requested a brochure, that to will also be complete by next week.
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #81
Major Player

Welcome back Tony,

Did you manage to send that GG sample?
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #82
Regular Crew

Been on holiday, I got back late last night. I have the cut glass, just waiting for the seals to be delivered, been told it should be Monday therefore GG's should all be ready Wednesday.
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #83
New Boot

Also waiting in line for a sample . . . several people in expectation a la Adaptor Wars Part IV: The Static Strikes Back (A New Hope).
Mark Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #84
Regular Crew

My Bulldog Broadband is being upgraded in my area at the moment to 16mb so Im having to use bloody dialup at the moment. Does anyone have a solution as to how I can post sample movies as it will take forever to upload. Been told 3weeks till its finished. Want to get samples uploaded ASAP. Any suggestions?
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #85
Regular Crew

go to an internet cafe and ask if you can upload there?
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #86
Regular Crew

well, heres a rather easy mehtod, but i dunno if it's legal. Get ta flash drive (1 gig or so) go to the local librarry, use flash drive wqith computer. seems sorta simple
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #87
Regular Crew

LOL, internet cafe!! There are about 6 internet cafes within 500metres! I dunno why I didnt think of that, its the most obvious solution, THANKS TIM, will do that. People always seem to miss the most obvious solutions, well I do anyway......well quite a lot actually, LOL.
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Tony,
you havent posted since July 13th. Are you still going forward with your new gg production?
Donnie Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #89
Major Player

looks like the site is gone
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I havent been on here for ages. Various patent applications have been submitted regarding the DiGi35 so I have been advised to hold off for a while as least until that have been filed.

I am currently working with a medical imaging equipment manufacturer at present regarding the GG and due to the possibilities this is priority until the patents have at been filed.

By the way Alex, with regards to the coin motors the lady at robotmotors has them in stock, see called me about 2month ago to see if I needed anymore. If you need any let me know.

With regards to the DiGi35 as soon as the patents have been filed it will be available, its just that I've been told if I my various parts of it available then this will void any patent application, well thats what my patent agent has said. It wasnt until I realised the potential of the product was I advised to hold back and do it properly.

Sorry to go a bit off thread but I spoke to movietube UK distributor this week and he says that the movietube is and has always sold like crazy. At £8,000 a piece and selling by the shit load its making someone very rich. Mind you it works out cheaper then the Mini35 cos it doesnt need a £,1250 camera mount kit for each camera.

Anyway I will post the new domain name once things are finalised and ready.

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods