DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Filters/Adjustments typically made for adapter footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/70228-filters-adjustments-typically-made-adapter-footage.html)

Ben Winter June 25th, 2006 07:54 PM

Filters/Adjustments typically made for adapter footage?

Hey all,
I was wondering what kind of adjustments/corrections to the image you guys make (contrast, any cc tips?) that are typical for 35mm adapters. I read somewhere that sometimes the GG increases latitude...how? What are the typical processes you guys do to adapter footage to make it look its best?

Frank Hool June 26th, 2006 03:59 AM

wanna here my huge project in AE where i removed dust one by one and scene by scene? huuhhh. just about 70 layers with masks to remove dirt. 3 minutes movie and about three days rendering.

But anyway gg-projection makes image little bit warmer so you don'thave to use magick bullet so hard. If You forgot zoom in enough or wanted to use lens original focal lenght then antivignetting mask as well. And thats all.

Bob Hart June 26th, 2006 08:14 AM

Ben.

There is or was two articles published at dvinfo on creating the motion signature of film and the colour look of film in After-Effects. I shall have to look up the title again. I have it somewhere.

The changed settings as I recall adjusting them for Agus footage were :-

brightness, between 0 and +5, contrast, +10, gamma 1.2, saturation +15 to +21.

There were other tricks which involved two layers, unsharp mask, but short of going and finding the printed version of the article, I cannot recall them.

White-balance manually before shooting through the groundglass, always.

The groundglass seems to trick the camcorder into not reacting as severely to localised over-bright areas in the image. I don't think it increases latitude but possibly creates the impression it does.

Winston Vargas June 26th, 2006 08:44 AM

filter adjustments with 35 adapters

That depends on the camera that you are using. I have a 70mm adapter that I built which uses medium format lenses and a 6x4.5cm groundglass. The adjustment for contrast and gamma is made on my DVX100, in other cameras you will have to use filters for eg: the ultra contrast filter to cut down on the contrast or a soft effects filter or warming filter whatever you need will be added to the lens. I find that I need no filtration with my adapter, but I have used a soft effects and warming filter since it's easier to add a filter than to mess with the menus on the DVX100.

Nick Outram June 26th, 2006 11:01 AM

Anti Vignetting filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Hool
wanna here my huge project in AE where i removed dust one by one and scene by scene? huuhhh. just about 70 layers with masks to remove dirt. 3 minutes movie and about three days rendering.

But anyway gg-projection makes image little bit warmer so you don'thave to use magick bullet so hard. If You forgot zoom in enough or wanted to use lens original focal lenght then antivignetting mask as well. And thats all.

Frank,

this anti-vignetting filter sounds good, is it an add on...which SW you using? Does it exist in Vegas? (I'll have a hunt when I get home)

Regards, Nick.

Frank Hool June 27th, 2006 05:51 PM

Nick,
i do it in After Effects:
1. before every shot i shoot uniformal surface(or after changing lens)
2. open it in AE.
3. create mask using given footage(from black to white).
4. open my actual fotage in AE
5. use on my mask blending mode(overlay, stencil luma ...depends of masks character)

Nick Outram July 10th, 2006 04:05 PM

Vegas

Hi Frank,

thanks for that -I kinda understand how you are doing it but I use Vegas. I will try posting your response on the Vegas forum and see if anyone can give me a step by step guide.

Thanks again.

Nick.