GG and Bokeh - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old June 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #31
New Boot

if you were just taling about lenses for a minute then a lense that gives you good bokeh (say a 58mm f1.4 minolta rokkor ) will generally give a less sharp image on the other hand a sharper lens has slightly poorer bokeh , however the difference is slight. This might have something to do with the fact that to get a shallow DOF and nice bokeh out of a lense you generally have to have the appeture wide open , when a lenses focal sweet spot as it were is somewhere around f5.6 . Again when taling just about a lense ( before complicating things with diffussion) there is an artistic choice between sharpness and nicer bokeh. I agree that the best focusing screen would be able to best emulate what happens on the film plane in an slr camera ( I say best because I also agree that it would be near impossible to exactly replicate what happens on film)
rob
Robert Gradisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I've compared my adapter footage to film shots on SLR with the same lens (50mm f1.2 Nikkor). On 100ASA and 400ASA film (surprisingly to me) the dynamic range is absolute crap by comparison, bright areas are blown out, dark areas are too dark in the same shot, bokeh is grainy and highlights have a bright edge classed as bad bokeh.

However on the adapter footage the dynamic range is good, and because the gg doesn't fully diffuse it actually softens the bokeh somewhat and the result is it looks better than actual film haha!
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #33
New Boot

hey andy
sorry I havent replied yet to the last email you sent me lifes a little hectic at the moment , how did you go with wax , if you are using wax ,I noticed that depending on exposure I still get slight hotspotting and occasionally the grain is evident but mostly not, haven got any decent footage to show as everything ive got has been deinterlaced and colour and gamma corrected and would probably not accurately demonstrate the ability of the adapter
rob
Robert Gradisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I'm oscillating 40 micron gg at the mo, wouldn't go back to wax unless you tell me bees wax can give light loss around 1-1.5 stops total loss for the system.

I always correct my footage anyway so I'd still like to see "doctored" grabs.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #35
Trustee

This was shot on the Letus35 with a theatrical lighting gel diffuser switched out with the focusing screen. The footage is great, but there was too much grain even with the vibration. I'm sorry I can't find my sorenson serial number so I was stuck with the trial, hence the watermark. But you still get the idea.

http://www.frozenphoenixproductions....ffusertest.mov

Last edited by Ben Winter; June 29th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Ben, the link does not work for me (Page not found).
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #37
Trustee

Sadly ever since Powweb went under new management they moved everybody to a new system and with it, new rules. You'll notice you can no longer browse my exposed directories, they're blocked. I think another dumb rule they put in is no direct file linking--which is going to be a serious problem for me since I link to files all the time. I'll see if I can fix the problem.

EDIT: problem solved. I was uploading to the old server. Link should work when the upload finishes.
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #38
Trustee

I should also mention that the R8 leica focusing screen is a fantastic gg but has a dumb split-prism in the middle. What a bummer.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #39
Trustee

The Nikon D100 replacement screen I ordered is exactly what I hoped for. Small, but a fantastic image, very similar in construction to the Beattie Intenscreen for the Contax. It doesn't really diffuse completely to my satisfaction, but the bokeh is different than the Beattie from what I can tell, hopefully better. There's practically nil grain. I'm installing it in my Letus and I'll have test footage shortly.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #40
Major Player

Ben,
Sounds great, be sure to show us some footage!
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #41
Trustee

D100 Results - No Light Loss, No Grain, Horrendous Bokeh

Alright,
The D100 shows great lack of light loss, great lack of grain, and the in-focus material is the sharpest I've ever seen. But the bokeh is pretty undesirable. I'll let the results speak for themselves.

http://www.frozenphoenixproductions..../d100test1.mov
http://www.frozenphoenixproductions..../d100test2.mov
http://www.frozenphoenixproductions..../d100test3.mov

Check em out.
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hey Ben

You might want to try sticking two of your diffusers together face to face. You'll get the bokeh you want but possibly at the expense of sharpness and grain.
Old July 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM   #43
Trustee

I was going to try that--I think I'll find some less powerful diffuser gel material and glue it up against the D100 screen.
Old July 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM   #44
Regular Crew

What about the D200s screen? lol stupid question - i dont think it will make any difference, its just the next model
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #45
Major Player

Ben, how about shooting some out-of focus-lights at night?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods