DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   35mm adapters for HVX200?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/71100-35mm-adapters-hvx200.html)

Matt Stedeford July 8th, 2006 03:59 PM

35mm adapters for HVX200??

Does anyone know of any 35mm adapters other than the M2 which would fit on the Panasonic HVX200 HD cam? I don't like the results of the M2, bit too soft for my taste. I like the results of the Cinemek G35 but I gather it doesn't fit the HVX200. I have emailed cinemek but no reply as yet.. there doesn't seem to be much happening at cinemek so I'm not sure if they are still alive over there! Any suggestions appreciated :)

Matt Gottshalk July 8th, 2006 06:22 PM

Brevis 35 with HD achromat.

http://www.cinevate.com/

Amos Kim July 8th, 2006 08:30 PM

how did the cinemek compare to the m2?

Forrest Schultz July 9th, 2006 12:49 AM

Matt, almost any adapter can work with the HVX, most people buy a step-up ring. 58mm to 72mm to fit into the HVX, if you have a good macro on it, then you should have to problem zooming on to the 35mm frame size. so any adapter that has 58mm or 72mm rings. its all good.

Jaadgy Akanni July 9th, 2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Stedeford
Does anyone know of any 35mm adapters other than the M2 which would fit on the Panasonic HVX200 HD cam? I don't like the results of the M2, bit too soft for my taste. I like the results of the Cinemek G35 but I gather it doesn't fit the HVX200. I have emailed cinemek but no reply as yet.. there doesn't seem to be much happening at cinemek so I'm not sure if they are still alive over there! Any suggestions appreciated :)

Matt, if I had an HVX200, among all the adaptors out there, the M2 would be the one I'd get. They're made for each other. And that's something I wouldn't say about my HD100u. I've seen all sorts of footage from various cameras combined with either the M2 or the Mini35 adaptors, and so far, IMHO, the best have been those from the HVX200 with the M2. By the way, from the demos I just saw, I still say the M2 is sharper than the Brevis 35. This is just my eye's opinion. Good luck Matt.

Dennis Wood July 9th, 2006 09:59 PM

We have a number of users using the HVX, which is my favourite of all the cams tested on the Brevis. I've had nothing but very satisfied feedback from these cam owners via email although there has been very limited evaluation footage posted so far, a situation soon to be remedied :-)

In addition, our "Revision 2" (pics in a few days) has rear xy adjustability and swappable (about 3 minutes) diffusers, as well as various subtle improvements. It's been an unbelievable grind getting here, but I know users will love the changes.

Bob Hart July 9th, 2006 11:09 PM

Dennis.

A commendable thoroughness move on the x-y adjustability. (I have been too lazy to do it for the PD150/FX1 but was forced to for the JVC HD100 on my own contrivances).

If you have swappable diffusers, you may also now have the in-built choice of "no diffuser" and this opens up a whole new versatility for using much longer lenses in the f4 to f6 aperture ballpark.

For the swappable diffuser option do you have an inbuillt "parking" or storage position within the appliance for the spare diffuser not in use?

Matt Stedeford July 18th, 2006 09:12 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies. Fantastic. Though I have decided that I will wait until the G35 comes back out or something similar. I have done a lot of research, and the G35's image is much nicer than any other adapters I have seen in that it doesn't appear to soften the image as much, and the overall image quality appears crisper and the type of "blur" is more what my eyes want to see. It's a shame Cinemek don't seem to be operating anymore- no replies to emails, or updates to their site. If Redrock started making an alternative adapter with similar results to the G35, I'd be sold :) I dont have much time to go into anymore detail right now, no offense intended to M2 or brevis lovers.

Matt

Dante Stiller July 19th, 2006 08:54 AM

Just in case you missed any of the options, here is a list of 35 mm adapters:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=63484&page=2

it's with links to the websites, which are not always as organised as they should be.

Dennis Wood July 27th, 2006 10:02 PM

Bob, there is no parking spot for the spent diffusers. They're pretty delicate, so I'd be loath to have them stored in the adapter. Once the testing is done on the new protype diffusers, they'll be shipped with a storage container which will serve as the safe place for diffuser elements.

I just had a look at some prelim HVX footage being done up by a pro shooter for us. The footage I looked at was amazing with respect to sharpness!

Bob Hart July 28th, 2006 06:11 AM

Dennis.

On reflection, that is probably a wise move. Anything which can be pulled free with fingers is going to fall free if it takes a hard knock. I know it well.

"CLUTT!!, then what seemed to be an endless clatter and tinkling sound as all the bits of the disk rolled around in the case as it tumbled to rest.

Then they got stirred up by what remained of the disk still on the hub, spinning like some demonic blender until I had the wit to turn the thing off.

The front prism copped it as well as the back of the SLR lens. The mind image of the coating being chipped off the back of the rear lens element is not one to take a pleasure in at all.

Dennis Wood July 28th, 2006 10:27 AM

I learned that lesson the hard and very expensive way with a few diffusers. There's nothing like money down the drain to motivate some CAD/CNC work in a hurry.

Greg Bates July 28th, 2006 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Stedeford
Hi, thanks for the replies. Fantastic. Though I have decided that I will wait until the G35 comes back out or something similar. I have done a lot of research, and the G35's image is much nicer than any other adapters I have seen in that it doesn't appear to soften the image as much, and the overall image quality appears crisper and the type of "blur" is more what my eyes want to see. It's a shame Cinemek don't seem to be operating anymore- no replies to emails, or updates to their site. If Redrock started making an alternative adapter with similar results to the G35, I'd be sold :) I dont have much time to go into anymore detail right now, no offense intended to M2 or brevis lovers.

Matt

I love statements like that! Meanwhile the Redrock products popularity and demand is legendary. While the Brevis is sharp and bright as hell. Do either of these look better than the other? I don't know because i've only seen one in person, and I can guarantee you this, if you have an HVX you can't judge until you have a unit due to the extreme amount of detail that thing captures. You can see what's on a subjects mind while filming. That said my Brevis is the shiot.