New Music Video Shot with 35mm Adapter - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I would certainly say that the majority of my time is spent studying cinematography and the other various skills needed to be a low budget filmaker theese days, rather than working on my adapter.

This brings up a good point. I found that building my own 35mm adapter and getting it right was soaking up a LOT of time. Time I'd rather spend working on my skills as a filmmaker.

I managed to get pretty far rather quickly, but could see the ole "the last 10% takes 90% of the time" adage coming into play.

-> http://207.200.5.12/jtp/35mm/pics.html

After two weekends of work and several trips to Fry's, I plunked down $370 for the Letus35a

-> http://letus35.com/

Money very well spent (I was shooting a short with it some two weeks later).
Jim OQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Hi Glen,
Thanks very much for the question. I have used combustion on the last piece, shake on the previous pieces, and after effects before that. I am really happy with combustion, and will continue to use it now, it is absolutely perfect for color grading. I dont really use any plugins for the grading side of things to be honest, becuase the software tends to allow enough control.

Hi Jeremy,
yep, I have tried synthetic apature, and it is a really good plugin, but i have never been that keen on after effects for grading. Just not keen on the interface, and i am not massively keen on the way the synthetic apature has its own separate interface which seems to load fairly slowly etc. But it does alow some excellent control. I downloaded the standalone copy trial for the mac, and really liked it, however becuase you can use layers etc, it has limited uses for me, so i cant warrent the expense.

Bill,
Well matey, you are just one of those rude people who preceeds an insult with "don't be offended".... If you are not going to be offensive, why would you say don't be offended... you funny chap. Having looked at some of your previous posts, you havn't made an exception just for me, which makes me feel better.... flaming people seems to be your forte. Anyway sorry mate, but im not really interested in talking to you. I'm on this forum to share information with decent people, who arn't quite so narrow minded, and who dont become offensive when they dont get what they want.

Hi Jim,
Absolutely, it is so easy to get sidetracked with anything very technical like this, and although it is very usefull, its important to find the right balance. If you want to be a filmmaker, fit the engineering in where you can.... between the real work wouldn't you say.

As a general point, given Bill's attack, and some of your questions, i am writing any information i can regarding my adapter. Can't imagine it will be of much interest, but i hope it helps someone.

I'm not sure if this is of any use to anyone here, but I can tell you guys that i have a 10cm gap between my gg and camera lens, i am using a motor speed regulator from rs components in the uk with a 4k potentiometer. The speed regulator was about £40 i believe ($80). The 12v battery pack i am using are also made my myself, and are rechargable, and to be honest there isnt much else to tell. My gg and motor mechanism is from the sgpro, as is the project box. The rest of my components are simple machined aluminium and brass.
My achromat is about a 130fl i believe.

Thanks guys

Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #48
Major Player

Bill, if Nick doesn't want to talk about his adapter, that's his right. Don't keep pressuring him to post what he doesn't want to share.

And Bill, I do remember asking him, a long time back, if he could send me plans for his adapter so I could build one. Never had a response. :)

It could be that some aspects of the design is similar to the sg35. Having collaborated with the company, obviously he might not wish to give away the design rights of which he is sharing with the company and vice versa.

If you still want something similar to Nick's, why not go any buy an sg35? I've brought a Letus 35 from Quyen and I love it, though I havn't used it yet...Need to start practicing my focus shots and all that.

Nick, thanks for sharing some portions of your design, although I'm more interested in the way you shoot video.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply mate. Really sorry if i didn't reply to your email, but i do get lots of emails for design plans and requests for adapters, and although i try to get back to most of them, it is often difficult. To be honest, when i have a job on, i usually dont even have the time to get back to potential clients.... everything goes on the backburner. Dont let that put you off though. I am really crap with emails. If anyone wants to chat about anything, just add me to your msn list if you have it... And if im not in the middle of a big job, i'd love to chat.

I find msn a lot easier then tackeling my inbox.

(nicholasbartleet@hotmail.com)

I have tried to contribute as much as possible to these forums, and i am always willing to help anyone who contacts me with regards to any element of film making if i can.

Thanks, Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #50
Major Player

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the reply. You sound quite impressed with Combustion, so I downloaded the trial version to give it a try. Wow, it is quite good. You're just using the Discreet colour corrector? I've just had a play with that and can see how flexible it is. It's so much easier to get decent results with than say the colour corrector in Vegas, which I thought was good. The overall look is quite impressive too. Just wondering, do you colour correct full length clips before editing, or once you've worked on the edit and know what needs to be adjusted?

Just one other question. What kind of lens or lenses did you use on Fatal Beauty? Anything special? Sorry if this has already been asked.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Nick, quick question: What were the specs on the 35mm lenses used on this last video?
Jim OQuinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods