DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   New Music Video Shot with 35mm Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/72041-new-music-video-shot-35mm-adapter.html)

Nicholas Bartleet July 22nd, 2006 11:12 AM

New Music Video Shot with 35mm Adapter

Hi guys...

Just finished a video shot in HDV on a Sony FX1 with my own design 35mm adapter. Recently made some upgrades to the adapter, which you will see from the sharpness and quality of the image. I will post some HD images on my site soon.

http://www.pixelloft.com/music_videos.htm

Shot on HDV and spent in total about £2.5k of the budget to complete it.
Edited natively in FCP 5 on a G5
Color Graded (Extensively) in Combustion on a PC
Finished In FCP

We used 4x Redheads and 2xBlondes for lighting, and built the operating theater set, in a part of a warehouse.

Any feedback welcome. I hope you like it.

Thanks, Nick

Solomon Chase July 22nd, 2006 04:13 PM

Excellent lighting and composition. Very nicely framed and edited :)

I'm working on a video to be aired on MTVbase, and this gives some great inspiration.

Wayne Kinney July 22nd, 2006 04:27 PM

Nick, excellent video, as always. Im glad the GG worked for you ;)

David Delaney July 22nd, 2006 04:56 PM

Wayne,

Did he use your SGpro or just your GG?

Ben Winter July 22nd, 2006 05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure Nick is still using his awesome-adapter he made, just Wayne's GG.

I must say, that is a very, very noticable jump in sharpness. I'm glad you made the switch. The only thing that's ever bothered me about your work is the ground glass-esque softness to your flicks that just wasn't there in that last one. Fantastic work.

What was the shutter speed for those shots of him sitting in the hallway? It seemed a little slower than I'm used to...or maybe you were shooting PAL? for some reason PAL video seems more motion-blurry to me than NTSC.

As always, enjoyed your stuff.

Nicholas Bartleet July 22nd, 2006 06:28 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Wayne has been very helpfull to me with my adapter, and we have both benifited greatly from sharing eachotheres experiances and knowledge in this area. He has an extensive knowledge in this area, which is evedent with the quality of his adapters.

I have totally rebuilt my adapter now and changed the design, and the incresed sharpness is due in no small part to a new achromat and lens configuration i am using.

I am really pleased with the results, and glad that you have noticed the improvement in the quality.

Thanks.

Nick

Mikko Parttimaa July 22nd, 2006 06:32 PM

Of course PAL is more blurry, it uses 1/50 shutter when NTSC uses 1/60 (if not 24p.) Nic is shooting PAL.

I have always loved your work. Even tough I really don't like the music, I love the cinematography in your shorts and music videos. I have learned a much from your shorts (esp. from the Riddle) about the importance of good lightning and about the total evilness of edge enchantment.

Bill Porter July 22nd, 2006 06:40 PM

Nice work, Nick!

Also how about sharing some pics and information on your adapter?

Nicholas Bartleet July 22nd, 2006 06:59 PM

I was using fast shutter speeds the whole time, almost always well over 200. All of the narratve stuff has been slowed by 50% using joes filter for fcp, which converts fields into frames, so you effectively get 50p, and effectively only loose the same amount of detail as when deinterlacing anyway.

Worked a charm, i would highly reccomend joes filters for FCP.

I cant really share info on the adapter, becuase it shares some parts with waynes sgpro, although there are differences between our designs, i cant really give away too much. Sorry about that.

i will post some pics of the outside of the adapter though tomorrow. And some pics of the locations possibly.

Regards, Nick

Bill Porter July 22nd, 2006 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
I cant really share info on the adapter, becuase it shares some parts with waynes sgpro, although there are differences between our designs, i cant really give away too much.

Spoken like a true Hollywood type.

Soeren Mueller July 23rd, 2006 05:23 AM

Hey Nick - looks great, as always! ;)
So would you at least elaborate on what kind of achromat you used? 72mm diameter? How much do you have to zoom in with your FX1?
Thanks! :)

Ben Gurvich July 23rd, 2006 05:35 AM

Great Stuff Nick,

I am interested in your post workflow. Did you capture as HDV or uncompressed, and how did you achieve such a clean end result?

>>was using fast shutter speeds the whole time, almost always well over 200.<<
>>All of the narratve stuff has been slowed by 50% using joes filter for fcp, <<

So by using a fast shutter speed Slowed by 50%, hats how you arrived at such clean footage?

Cheers,
Ben

Yasser Kassana July 23rd, 2006 05:50 AM

Nick that adapter of yours is sharp man! Sharper than G35 or M2. I'm impressed and love the vid. Well done.

Wayne Kinney July 23rd, 2006 05:51 AM

I think the main element for Nicks clean footage is in good use of lighting on set.

Soeren Mueller July 23rd, 2006 06:10 AM

Wayne.. of course.. but only to a certain degree. Even with the best lighting... if you don't focus correctly on the GG and/or the GG is grainy as hell and/or the achromat isn't of high quality or anything is off only the slightest bit.. you've got image problems that you can't fix with the most decent lighting on earth. ;)
That's why I'm curios about some of the technical aspects of his construction/adapter...